Piano/Vocal

Mfusion

I record songs that mainly consist of a vocal and a piano. My mixes and final products are not bad- but they could be better. I often times encounter this problem:

the vocal and the piano are not distinct enough to one another. I am wondering how I can EQ both or do other things to them, to make them more distinct so that they don't sound too intermingled. I find that the odd time that i get it right (the vocal sounds distinct from the piano), I am able to sit the vocal perfectly in the mix. But I can never figure out how that happens. Any general specific tips? I use Pro tools8 for recording and I also have Izotope Ozone for mastering.

I find that when I get it right, the vocal sounds full and upfront in the mix, without sounding too loud for the mix, but at the same time, sounding loud. I use compression on the vocal track and a touch of reverb.

Thank-you

What you need to learn is a concept known as bracket EQing. This consists of cutting certain frequencies of one instrument to give the other some space in the mix. Idk exactly how to accomplish this in your situation, as it will many times depend on pitch, but yes you can generally fix this with some basic channel EQ.

Back