panning lead guitar

Newbie dude

Okay, heres a question for singer songwriters out there that record every instrument themselves. Well, I guess bands could answer this to. If you have a rhythymn guitar and a lead guitar in a song, but the lead, for the most part, just doubles the rhythymn throught the song, with perhaps a few differences here and there, would you guys go ahead and put the solo on a seperate track or include it in one of the doubled guitar tracks?

well with a separate track the two can be fiddled with separately after they're tracked. if you include it into the same rhythm tracks you won't be able to fiddle with them separately if you want to later on. i generally track everything separately but if you're in control you can do it any way you want.

Is he playing a secondary rhythym when it's different trhan the normal rhythm, or is it a straight ahead lead part?

I know personally I am a fan of panning the two guitars if there are two, pretty wide. I am interested to here what anyone else has to say. I mean I know it is such a judgement call on a per song basis, but it is very important I think.

I solo my guitar to separate tracks. When I do my leads, I usually double track them and pan them off but not super wide. Same thing with harmonies and rhythm. The rhythms usually just gets the 2 tracks laid down then panned to taste, (usually about 60% L and 65% R) and I put a different EQ to each.
But it really does come down to what your ears say it needs and this stuff is just generally what I do, nothin in concrete.
Hope it helps. :D

well, the idea would be that the lead guitar, other than the solo, plays pretty much the same chord progression as the rhythymn through the song, but may add in a few notes here and there to catch thje listener off guard and fill out and layer the song a little.

Newbie dude said:
well, the idea would be that the lead guitar, other than the solo, plays pretty much the same chord progression as the rhythymn through the song, but may add in a few notes here and there to catch thje listener off guard and fill out and layer the song a little.

Then, if it were me, I would have him play thru the song withouth the solos (just keep playing rhythm). Hard pan the two guitar parts. Record the solos on a seperate track and put it right down the middle.

Back