Panning identical mono tracks

As stated, tracking guitars or any mono instrument you want to have stereo width, doing two separate performed tracks works best.

In a pinch when unable to do so, Soundtoys MicroShift does wonders for me. I am not sure there is a 32-bit version anymore though that you can use...

You may need to update your PC now man. Cubase 4 might run on it, but you are hitting a wall now with software and usable plug ins.

New simple PC under $400. Maybe less depending on your needs. $1200 for a powerhouse beast these days. Cubase 10 Elements $90. Or Reaper for kind of free. But if you are used to Cubase, then go with that.

I guess I'm a bit anti endlessly updating and playing the corporate game. Updating comes with a certain amount of baggage also.
I have a Soundcraft MFX mixer which I love and an Audiophile soundcard. Beyer M260 and Shure Unisphere1 mics. More plugins than I could ever need although I stick to relatively few.
So as you see it's all a bit dated and I would admit there are times when I'm tempted to make the jump.

I guess I'm a bit anti endlessly updating and playing the corporate game. Updating comes with a certain amount of baggage also.
I have a Soundcraft MFX mixer which I love and an Audiophile soundcard. Beyer M260 and Shure Unisphere1 mics. More plugins than I could ever need although I stick to relatively few.
So as you see it's all a bit dated and I would admit there are times when I'm tempted to make the jump.

Eventually something will fail on you and you will have no choice. That's what happened with me. Stuck it out with Win 7 on my studio computer until this year.

I'm about to hit that wall myself it seems. I updated to newest version of Melodyne, and it rendered all of my Melodyne work on current projects not usable. It only works with Windows 10.

Thankfully Celemony quickly refunded my $150 and reset my Ilok activation code. I was just about to lose my shit... Actually I did lose it for a while... lol

Not sure why they stopped backward compatibility with older versions like Cubase does...

It's the lack of backward compatibility that gets me down. All these companies bring out non stop updates and disregard the user by withdrawing support when they see fit.
I run my setup on a closed system - so no internet connection. My online activity is on a separate PC.
It's hard to see how I can hit a wall as I can replace just about everything I have, but who can really say?

Not sure why they stopped backward compatibility with older versions like Cubase does...

Some of the issue might be the 16 vs 32 vs 64 bit processing. I've got various programs which ran in 16bit space (old XP programs) but Win10 just says NO! I can't run my old Photoshop, or any of my old Lotus SmartSuite programs. Likewise, 32bit programs will see sunset soon as well.

Keeping 16 bit code running adds complexity to the system and slows things down. At some point MS just had to pull the plug, just like those old DOS programs.

Such is progress, I guess. I've got computers going all the way back to Win95, just had one fired up about 2 months back. Two have Win 98 or ME, and one is Win2000. If I absolutely need to, I can run those old program, but I've only had two times in the last couple of years that I needed to fire them up.

Yeah, but W7 is 64-bit. Plugins all work. Cubase 4 32 bit projects open in Cubase 10 on W7 OS. I already updated all of my 3rd party plugins to 64-bit long ago. OS upgrade requirement kinda pisses me off...

Sucks you have issues with other programs. I am almost to the point where I just have to make the change..

Maybe it easy now? I know for sure it was a nightmare for many when it first came out for free...

More money... I have at least had some time with W10 for my daughter and wife's Laptops. Hate it, but whatever....Guess I will grow up soon? lol!

Back