output from mixer to headphone amp

darcaro

Hello!

This may be a very basic question but - i am using a yamaha mg12xu with the samson QH4 headphone amp. For some reason, when i plug the headphone amp into the headphone jack on the board (and then headphones into the QH4) , the sound thru the headphones is terrible - it sounds nothing like if i just plug a pair of headphones directly into the mixer. I noticed that the QH4 has a stereo L/R input , in addition to the single headphone input. My question is , what is the correct method to go out of a mixer like mine and into a headphone amp ? Or.....is it correct to just run 1 line out of the headphones to the headphone amp? Any advice would be amazing . thank you!

How (and why!) are you connecting the headphone out to the Samson? The manual shows connecting the mixer L/R output - presumably something like the Monitor Out of the Yamaha, and it recommends balanced (TRS) cables. (The Yamaha is +4dBu, so start with the Master all the way down.)

P.S. The manual specs and block diagram suggest there's no difference for input impedance or max input level (+21dBu) between the TRS L/R inputs and the Aux input, so it shouldn't matter which you choose, but I'd try both, and use known, good cables.

Bad or distorted audio troubleshooting from the manual lists these things to try/check [kr: odd they don't mention the QH4 Master!]:
  • Ensure that all audio connections are securely attached.
  • Reduce the output volume of the source audio device.
  • Reduce the volume of the QH4 headphone channels.

The headphone output is a stereo output and the inputs on the headphone amp are balanced. You need to either come out of the headphone output on the mixer with a splitter cable that separates the left from the right, so you can feed both inputs on the amp, or come out of the main outputs on the mixer into the two inputs on the headphone amp.

I guess because it seemed like one obvious way to do it (i'm very new to this).... :( but thank you so much for your reply! The monitor out is actually going to a pair of monitors ...but on this board , there is a "group out" with a separate fader - I guess that would work ? Thank you again for your reply!

Use the stereo outputs. That should be the same feed as the monitor outputs.

The group outs are for going to your recorder.

Headphone out on the Yamaha is a headphone amp.You plug headphones in.
To use an outboard headphone amp use the monitor outputs of the Yamaha.

G

I appreciate all of your replies! I have so many questions about how to properly setup my mixer with my imac for both playing live with my band, and also for recording. For example ....the USB out of my mixer I thought was for recording - If i should be using the "group out" .... then is there some 1/4" to usb converter ?

I appreciate all of your replies! I have so many questions about how to properly setup my mixer with my imac for both playing live with my band, and also for recording. For example ....the USB out of my mixer I thought was for recording - If i should be using the "group out" .... then is there some 1/4" to usb converter ?
The group out is for recording when you have an external interface. If the mixer is your interface, the group outputs just become another output for whatever you need it to be.

Headphone out on the Yamaha is a headphone amp.
Most headphone outputs aren't much different from line outputs aside from being unbalanced. The often "work" just fine.

The headphone amp has what is presumably a stereo Aux input, which will probably accept that headphone input (the "aux cord" almost always plugs into a headphone hole ;) ). You'd need a 1/4" > 1/8" cable with TRS on both ends.

If you're plugging 1/4" TRS > 1/4" TRS from stereo headphone out to balanced line input, you're going to get the difference between the L and R signals - the "side" signal with more or less perfect cancellation of anything panned up the middle.

Anway, YES, if you have an unused stereo out on the board, use it.

Thank you for your reply! One of my issues is that i dont understand all of the different outputs on my board, and what they are used for ... I did have a TRS cable from the headphone out to the headphone in on my headphone amp and it sounded like crap ....amazon is delivering 2 balanced trs cables which i'll use in the monitor L/R out , but i will have to find another output for my studio monitors - thanks again!

Keep the monitors in the monitor output. Use the stereo outputs for the headphone amp. Or, you can use the group outputs for the headphone amp, if you want to be able to listen to something different than what is going to the stereo output.

Crack open the manual. It should tell you what all the different outputs are meant to be used for.

Crack open the manual. It should tell you what all the different outputs are meant to be used for.

Ah yes! The old read the manual trick. ;)
Most manuals, seeing how they are written by the designers of the gear, are pretty good.

But then again, if more people studied them, internet threads would be cut in half. ;)

What would we talk about?
:D

Been said but use the Mains output. Or you might have a Aux Out, Control Room Out....just not the headphone out.

Back