One track 4 part harmony with baritone too loud. Fixes?

Bryan Bridges

Hi, I'm working with Logic Pro X 10.4.4 on Macbook Pro with Mojave. I have a one track recording of acapella 4 part harmony, where the baritone was the only one in the mic. He's standing out big. I've messed with simple EQ and can't escape the strong baritone. Is there any way to bring the other singers out and fade him back? I can't think of any way, but thought I'd ask.

Well, EQ is a good start, but failing with just that, it's one place where you might find multi-band compression can help. It might take a combination of that and "regular" compression, or even stacked mbc done lightly, since baritone can cover a wide range. You might also want to play with automation on a plugin (e.g., momentarily switching it on/off, or adjusting the parameters on-the-fly) if there are any specific parts where a set-and-forget approach is not working.

You could try a multi-band compressor and set it to act hard on the baritone frequencies, make sure the auto gain compensation is off on the compressor.

Alan.

Back