NotePerfect speakers

Simmo

Hi,

I'm about to get into recording, and although i probably won't be able to afford a good set of monitors (i'll probably use headphones for tracking and mixing) i was just wondering if anyone has used or knows about NotePerfect speakers, particularly the Alpha model:

http://www.noteperfect.com.au/

Don't know how much these cost just yet.

If I were to buy monitors in the future I could probably afford something in the price range of the Tannoy Reveals or the Behringer Truth B2031. Any recommendations in this price range?

Cheers,

Simmo.

I'm not familiar with NotePerfect speakers, but you can pick up a set of M-Audio Studiophile SP-5B's for about 300 bones - I've heard very good things about them.

As you mentioned that you're about to get into recording, I'd recommend a couple of things:

1. Don't mix with headphones. Things like phasing, stereo separation, bass response, etc.. will be eggagerated and misleading. If you can't afford it now, you'd be better off picking up a set of Rolands from Guitar Center for 75 bucks than mixing with headphones.

2. Whichever monitors you end up with, it's most important to be "familiar" with them. You'll need to listen to boat-loads of CD's on them to get a feel for what your mixes should sound like on your monitors. Do yourself this favor, it's very important and it'll prevent a lot of "why does this sound like crap". I had to learn this lesson the hard way - don't do it. It's good to have different sets of speakers to "check" your mix on (headphones included), but do your mixing with your main set.

Thanks for the advice

Yeah I saw the SP-5B's on the m-audio website....although i'm not sure about their availability here in Australia. I saw a set of Yamaha MSP5's in a store today for about $1100 Australian dollars, which is about $600 u.s. dollars. Are these any good?

BTW, another music store here is having a clearance sale this Saturday, and they have ONE Audiophile 2496 which they're selling for $99 (Australian $$, about $55 u.s. dollars)!!! Normal retail price here is about $599. Sounds too good to be true. This is the card I was thinking of getting, so if i'm lucky enough to get it for $99 I can probably afford some decent monitors.

Back