Is normalizing overheads a terrible idea?

Dark Imagery

When I recorded my drum tracks forever ago I decided to treat my overheads more as cymbal mics. Now, I wish I had treated them as overheads. Obviously I have two cymbal driven tracks and if brought to usable volume there are many peaks that go well beyond clipping. I've tried compressors but with attack times suitable to cymbals the compressor isn't working. I thought if I normalized the tracks to a certain dB it may balance them out a bit? I can't get out to the studio tonight. What should I expect? Anyone else have any other ideas? Upward compression?

Maybe. Trying to redo this drum mix is gonna whoop my ass. I appreciate your reply in the mp3 forum, btw. Thing is I can get a pretty balanced sound until this certain cymbal on my kit freaking peaks here and there. Compression isn't working unless it squashes the cymbals which I can really hear now that some others pointed that out. I can't tell if I have enough cymbal leakage in my tom and snare mics that turning the overheads up in my mix would even help or if the drum mix would be way too cymbal heavy.

Edit: Think I didn't word my first post so well. I'm trying to get more of the whole kit into my overhead tracks when I foolishly recorded the tracks as "cymbal" mics. There's still alot information of other drums in the tracks and was wondering if normalizig would balance them out more.

Try it and see. I don't really follow what you're saying here. Just try stuff and see what happens. Then if it doesn't work, re-track the drums.

Eeesh. The drums on this record are at the peak of my skill level. It took me a couple months of practice to get ready for. We're both one-man bands but I can tell drums are your big thing, mine's guitar. No WAY I'm retracking the drums lol, I'll work with what I have. Thanks for the input, will try normalizing tomorrow.

Normalising shouldn't change the balance of your recording, just bring everything in it to a certain pre-set level.

It's hard to be specific but, if it was me, I'd be trying EQ to balance things out or, possibly (and if you have access to it), multi band compression set to only work on some very specific frequencies.

Bob

Last edited:
Normalizing anything is going to cause problems. I'd avoid it like the plague. Overheads peaking at -20dBFS-ish -- Maybe. More than enough.

Bring the other stuff down. Problem solved.
You got your answer right there in the first response. WHY is ANYTHING clipping? You tracking and/or mixing too hot. Bring everything down and then you can turn down the drums. Normalizing won't solve the problem. If anything it will make t worse.

Eeesh. The drums on this record are at the peak of my skill level. It took me a couple months of practice to get ready for. We're both one-man bands but I can tell drums are your big thing, mine's guitar. No WAY I'm retracking the drums lol, I'll work with what I have. Thanks for the input, will try normalizing tomorrow.

A re-track would be better than trying to fix this stuff with processing. You played it once, you can play it again. Don't normalize anything. Bring the other stuff down.

A re-track would be better than trying to fix this stuff with processing. You played it once, you can play it again. Don't normalize anything. Bring the other stuff down.

you'll regret NOT retracking the drums later, especially if you're already having problems with them now. plus, it's good practice

Back