Channel 1 - "MAIN VOCAL"
Channel 2 - "DOUBLE "
Channel 3 - "AD-LIB"
Channel 4- "FILL IN VOCAL"

going to BUS A

on BUS A I have Dynamic Processing- Echo- Reverb

Each channel has a S1 (send 1) with options of making it S2 3 4 5, ETC

but I keep each channel with a S1

The send 1 has a "Send Level" knob that I realise determines how much of Buss A goes to each one of the channels.

This is as far as my knowledge goes.

What exactly would you use SEND 2 SEND 3 SEND 4.

Should each channel have it's on send or something when they go to same buss?

Because I checked, when I moved the "Send Level" knob for S1 in channel 1 it did not move the "Send Level" knob for S1 in channel 2 (which I didn't want it to any ways)

I can't grasp what more I need to know bout extra sends

:confused:

If anybody can understand what I am asking and help me out I think I will have a full grasp on this subject

Channel>>>>>>>>>>Buss
\/ ^
Send ^
\/ ^
Effect ^
\/ ^
Return>>>^

A send splits the channel signal to a 'branch' circuit routed through the effect and returns it to wherever you assign it to go. Usually to a buss or the main mix faders. It can also be used for a monitor mix or headphone mix, or anything else you want to hear.

Now picture each channel being able to use this one circuit branch to route each channel through for a portion of the signal to be affected by the effect and send it on it's way. Each channel can use one effects unit. If you have another send, hook up another unit, and so on. Not every channel has to use every effect, nor the same amount from one unit. That's what the SEND knob is for; how much of the side branch circuit signal is sent to the effects unit(s).

The main signal through the channel is still routed to the buss or direct out. The send is just a split in the signal to route it somewhere else.

This simplified diagram is not reproducing correctly after posting. The up arrows go back to the buss, but can also be routed elsewhere.

On an aux, you can send various levels of various tracks to the same reverb. You can then tailor that one reverb, mute it, change it, whatever you want - in one place. That's the obvious advantage. There are others...

out of curiousity, on avereage, how many different reverbs will you use on any given song?

So...an aux is a seperate channel used for assigning the same effects to different channels...bussing is having the dry and wet signals mixed via the aux channel...

Again, a bus is any point in the system where multiple signals are mixed together into one signal.

An aux send is a feature of a channel allowing the signal to be split off for various purposes including parallel effects. It essentially splits (mults) the signal, one copy to the effect and one to the mix. The one going to the effect triggers the effect and the results are returned to the mix (without any of the original signal because the original signal is already in the mix). That makes two signal paths, the channel path with the original signal and the aux path with the effect, thus parallel effects.

In Pro Tools you have to assign sends to a bus, the bus to an effects channel, and the effects channel to the main mix (or a submix group bus) to set up a parallel (aux loop) effect. Then it can be used on any channel.

When people use the term bus they often mean a submix group bus. A submix is when you combine multiple signals together before they reach the main mix bus. That allows them to be processed together. Any volume changes or effects inserted on the group bus affect the whole batch of signals as one unit.

Inserted effects are serial effects. All the signal goes through the effect.The balance of dry/wet is done in the effect plugin. Usually things like eq and compression are done in series.

Aux send/return effect loops are parallel. The effect should only return wet signal and no dry. The wet/dry balance is done by raising or lowering the effect in the mix. Reverbs, delays, ambience etc. are typically done as parallel effects.

Again, a bus is any point in the system where multiple signals are mixed together into one signal.

An aux send is a feature of a channel allowing the signal to be split off for various purposes including parallel effects. It essentially splits (mults) the signal, one copy to the effect and one to the mix. The one going to the effect triggers the effect and the results are returned to the mix (without any of the original signal because the original signal is already in the mix). That makes two signal paths, the channel path with the original signal and the aux path with the effect, thus parallel effects.

In Pro Tools you have to assign sends to a bus, the bus to an effects channel, and the effects channel to the main mix (or a submix group bus) to set up a parallel (aux loop) effect. Then it can be used on any channel.

When people use the term bus they often mean a submix group bus. A submix is when you combine multiple signals together before they reach the main mix bus. That allows them to be processed together. Any volume changes or effects inserted on the group bus affect the whole batch of signals as one unit.

Inserted effects are serial effects. All the signal goes through the effect.The balance of dry/wet is done in the effect plugin. Usually things like eq and compression are done in series.

Aux send/return effect loops are parallel. The effect should only return wet signal and no dry. The wet/dry balance is done by raising or lowering the effect in the mix. Reverbs, delays, ambience etc. are typically done as parallel effects.

OK I do understand all that, it does make sense.

I think what's confusing is the way Logic deals with them...the terminology seems different to me.

On the logic mixer, you click send, which then displays bus 1, 2, 3 and so on.

On clicking on of those, it then automatically creates an aux channel of that number.

Hence my initial confusion!

But yea...all of what you said makes sense so thanks for that!

OK I do understand all that, it does make sense.

I think what's confusing is the way Logic deals with them...the terminology seems different to me.

On the logic mixer, you click send, which then displays bus 1, 2, 3 and so on.

On clicking on of those, it then automatically creates an aux channel of that number.

Hence my initial confusion!
"Bus" is a generic term. "Aux" is simply a special type of bus. All Aux channels are buses, but not all buses are aux channels.

G.

Thanks Glen, that's helpful as well! Definetly getting more clarity on this now.

Thanks for the patience and useful info all.

I want to start of by stating: I have only been using a DAW for 3 yrs and I am by no means a pro.

With that being said, I use Logic and I too was a little confused with the terminology at first and think the explanations everyone gave helped clarify the difference between Auxilary and Bus channels and gave me new insight.
I think this post was very helpful for anyone. I think further discussions on track layouts and maybe even downloadable examples i.e., templates for buses, auxs, reverbs, channels strip settings and pans would be most beneficial to all. (I believe even the most seasoned Audio Professional can learn new secrets from noobs.) These templates could be used as hands on guides for noobs. I'm not saying I want you to mix my songs for me, I just think that some simple examples could help solidify our understanding and even give new possibilities for those of us who don't have a lot of tricks up our sleeves.

I've been a member for a while and normally read and not post, but this thread peaked my interest to see how much I knew about the two.

Thanks,
James

Last edited:
thanks to all who have posted on this thread, this has helped me to clarify this as well, now, i'm going to start practicing with this!!

THANKS
T.

This totally helped me out on understanding aux's and bus's
I always wondered what they were for, and now I have a simpler way to mix instead adding the same effect on alot of channels and so on.
Good thread!

-Cole

Hello. I am a proud owner of a Soundtracs Cmx4400 but i cant figure out how to get the aux to function? It has a trs but is the return on the same jack plug? The repair manual dosent cover this.

My idea was to let the aux go through a patchbay ( normalled??? ) and connect a reverb with a Y-cord (mono in, mono out) Thats if the return is of course on the same jack plug?

Just to clearify:
i have tried aux 3 pre and postfader and its turned up 80% and theres nothing coming back.
Then i tried to bus the signal to bus 1 and 2 and the aux above that channel and...... Nothing coming back....

Any idea on how to hook up the aux:es?

Hello. I am a proud owner of a Soundtracs Cmx4400 but i cant figure out how to get the aux to function? It has a trs but is the return on the same jack plug? The repair manual dosent cover this.

My idea was to let the aux go through a patchbay ( normalled??? ) and connect a reverb with a Y-cord (mono in, mono out) Thats if the return is of course on the same jack plug?

Just to clearify:
i have tried aux 3 pre and postfader and its turned up 80% and theres nothing coming back.
Then i tried to bus the signal to bus 1 and 2 and the aux above that channel and...... Nothing coming back....

Any idea on how to hook up the aux:es?

You might want to introduce yourself in a thread that is less than 3 years old.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Of course. How Rude of me. My name is Dahla, i live in Sweden and have always been interested in recording since i was 14 and starten out with 2 old tape recorders. Since 1 year back i own a Soundtracs Cmx4400 and some outboards. Not much but its enough to get the job done. I have not yet recorded any thing besides my own music but maybe someday I will. That's if of course I get to understand how to hook up the aux:es. Please help :)

Back