Non-Linear vs. Linear Reverb

Zetajazz44

Can someone explain the differences between Non-Linear and Linear Reverb and how/why each would be used in particular applications?

I've searched this forum, as well as a few others, Googled it...etc., but I've found nothing. I'm just looking for some understanding in this area.

Thanks in advance,

I'll try to help some. Linear vs non-linear in the case of reverb refers to the decay of the reverb or the fading out of the reverb. linear decay would fade out in a very even manner lets just say for example maybe 3db per second untill it is gone.

non-linear could describe a couple things. A gated reverb is non-linear and would fade out to a point and then just vanish. So if you can hear the reverb clearly and then it's just gone it would be non-linear. Alot of people use gated reveb on snare drums. You may want a pretty strong reverb on the snare but not want there to end up being 10 snare hits triggering reverb and all those instances stacking up on each other and getting ugly.

Non-linear decay could also mean that you have strong late reflections (echos) in the fade out causing it to not fade evenly but to have pulses or surges in the fade out.

So linear = a straight line going diagonaly down to zero

Non linear = the line goes diagonaly down for a ways and then stops or it's not a straight line and has wiggles in it.

Hope that helps a little.

If anyone can describe it better please do;)

F.S.

Last edited:
Back