newbie no more?

dobro

Right. I recorded a song, mixed it (sort of) and burned it to a CD. It doesn't have the volume of a commercial CD or the effects, but it's just as clean. I did it. Now I just have to learn how to do it better.

INDEED! The delusion has exitted! Let the music begin...!

[This message has been edited by bobbo (edited 11-10-1999).]

LOL - drstawl, no, I don't think I normalized the .wav file, because I don't even recognize what you're talking about. What would that procedure have accomplished, then?

Congratulations on your accomplishment! From here on in, it only gets better and better...

Congrats on your first CD. Does sound like you need to learn abbout normalizing your recordings. If you will go to the main page here you will find the help that you need. Read, read, read, man. Then apply what you read and you will get it.

Well- Dragon has a good article on it. It's the one easiest step you can take to give your CDs the volume that commercial CDs have.

Right. I got the Cool Edit upgrade with all the effects, and normalized the aforementioned tracks. It was nice watching the waveform get bigger and fatter. Better, but still not loud enough. So, I think the problem is that the signal I'm recording isn't hot enough. Make sense? Also, second question: if it clips, then there's no good way to repair that in the mix, right?

By normalization, are we talking about maximizing (i.e. just increasing the gain to use the whole range) or compression (lowering the gain of the louder parts so that everything can be made louder)?

William Underwood

Normalization just interpolates the wave out to the maximum headroom available based on the loudest transient in the entire file.
If you edit out any transients that aren't really necessary (through gentle volume reductions; listen to the passage and see if there really should be an amplitude spike at that point in the recording) the results of the normalization will be much more dramatic, because the softer parts will get more boost.

Back