New plug worth checking out...

Oh, be sure to check out the SpectR-pro 2.0 beta 3 version of this thing... looks better and has more features.

"SpectR-Pro has a unique feature which can capture the frequency response of a reference signal and store it as an EQ curve. This EQ curve can be statically displayed for a visual reference, or can be applied to an input signal in real time to view the offset between the input signal and the stored EQ curve."

That one is really cool. Compare your guitars to a commercial recording, etc, see where you stand, mud wise.

And guess what? The demo is fully functional in 3 minute increments, at which time it asks if you wanna register.
Heres the pro version...
http://www.brainspawn.com/products/SpectR-Pro/SpectR-Pro.htm

Thanks tubedude!

I downloaded both trials. I've been looking for a plug like this but just couldn't cough up 3 bills for the Pinguin...

zip >>

SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!

I can't get either of the demos to work....grrrrrrrrrr......

What program are you running them in??

Can't get it to work at all in Soundforge and only the 33 band basic version comes up in eMagic... :(

I have an eMail out to them.

If I can get it to work I'll buy the pro version...

zip >>

OK people...

Don't let my problem scare you off...

I eMailed them and we worked though the problems ALREADY!!

It now works in both my soundforge and eMagic Plat...(I had to enable it using the Plugin enabler)

Hell...the quick response I got from them was worth $35 by itself!

I buy tomorrow...

Thanks for the tip tubedude!

I just tried the SpectR-Pro demo and I like it...

I can see the low and high frequency peaks of my bass part in a single track, and look at the whole mix in real time instead of exporting the mix to SEKD RedRoaster.

What I don't like is seeing how much more energy I'm pushing in the 80-800 range as opposed to the stuff above 800hz. From the looks of this thing, I'm all bass.

What I don't like is seeing how much energy I'm still pushing below 40hz. I didn't even know that stuff was there.

So I'm not happy with what I'm seeing, but I'm sure glad I'm seeing it. Maybe one day I'll be able to hear it without having to see it.

You should have a high pass filter going on just about everything in your project except the kick and bass, and maybe even them to kill anything below 30 or 40hz, which your speakers prob wont create anyway. Roll off the guitar and it cann really open up a mix.

Curious...

Do you personally do that with an outboard while tracking or do you insert a plugin after?

here's what I found on one of my tracks:

BASS AND PERCUSSION

kick: peaks at 80hz and 2.5khz without muddying up the whole section between the peaks.
prognosis: OK

bass: peaks around both 40hz and 120hz (depending on the note being played) with plenty of stuff going on all over the place.
prognosis: probably should cut some mud after the 1rst harmonic of the 120hz (ie... above 240, so around 360 or so)

snare: peaks at both 160hz (body of snare) and 1khz (rim) with energy all over the place.
prognosis: I want to cut some of the beef out of the snare but I don't want to make it whimpy... so I won't cut nothing.

congos: 140hz to 1.25khz with great separation of each congo part.
prognosis: nothing to change.

hats: tip at 8khz and stomp at both 50hz and 200hz.
prognosis: got to get rid of the 50hz stuff.

INSTRUMENTATION

clav: 65hz to 3khz with good clarity.
prognosis: might want to high pass at 80hz but I'm not going to screw too much with something that sounds good.

rez pad and strings: 550hz to 5.5khz
prognosis: I'll keep both and pan them apart.

rhythm guitar: 600hz to 10khz with the peak around 2.5khz.
prognosis: sweet... no worries

lead guitar: peaks at 315hz with nice upper harmonics.
prognosis: great clarity and R&B punch... no worries

Overall prognosis: track has good part separation. needs to tame the upper mid bass frequencies. a little more separation via EQ will sit the clav between the bass and strings nicely.

SpectR may just be the the thing I needed to help me 'hear' what my alesis monitor one's don't let me hear.

For crissake, Cross!! After a post like that how can I NOT go and download those things?!

(scramble scrape scrape) I think I have $35 around here somewhere, if I can just put off laundry for another couple weeks...

:)

Well...

You just missed the free upgrade deal...so now the pro version (you will want it) will cost ya 55...

Still pretty cheap if you ask me.

I love mine. :D

You have a few couches to look under?? ;)

Now I know why I hang out here, great peice of software and a real eye opener for setting up the mix.

I was having a problem getting the piano to sit around the vocal in one of my songs. Started up the demo and found the conflict immediately. Putting a little dip between 160hz and 320 and the whole thing came together

Thanks Tubedude

Hey Vance...

When you check out the pro version compare it TO the Pinguin!

That would be really cool as the Pinguin is - from what I've heard - a very accurate program...

Check some songs out and post here - let us know how close they are!!

Thanks,

zip >>

The Test

I'm hoping to check it out tommorrow night. I'll let ya know how it stacks. Found a cool set of VU meters called PSP Vintage Meters. Be sure to check out the Vintage Warmer while you're there. Very sweet plug.

Back