Need some recommendations for a mixer

troutmask

Hi everyone,

I don't know whether I'm looking for a needle in a haystack here, but hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

I need to find a mixer that has outputs for every channel (or one that can at least be rigged so that each channel has a separate output). It doesn't have to be a huge mixer (though it does need 4 to 6 XLR inputs and phantom power), since it is basically just going to be used in a recording situation for drums...which means that it would be nice if it generated as little noise as possible.

Can anybody offer me some advice on this?

Thanks in advance

Depends on your budget, I guess. Allen & Heath Mixwizard series mixers have direct outs on each channel if you absolutely need them, but any mixer with insert jacks on the channel strips can be used. You'd run a guitar cable or such out from the insert jack to your recorder. Plug the cable in to the "first click" on the jack (eg. it would stick out 3/16" or so) which usually allows you to use the mic preamp, but takes the signal out of the board before the eq or faders, etc...

sl

It sounds like all you need are some preamps, not a whole mixer. The whole point of a mixer is the summing amp which combines the sources (hence the term 'mix'). Since you're not doing that, you just need something to bring a mic signal up to line level, which is a preamp. That is, assuming the answer to the following question is yes: does your recording device have as many inputs as you need mics for?

Yes, my sound card has as many inputs as I need mics. (Actually, I'm not sure why I didn't think about preamps in the first place...)

So, can anybody recommend any relatively affordable 8-channel preamps with both XLR and 1/4" inputs as well as phantom power? (I don't mind spending money, but I am trying to keep my costs as reasonable as possible)

Back