Narrowing down my options....

craigsawyer

Hey folks,

I've just stocked up on half a dozen 244 bass traps for my small bedroom, and am now trying to find a decent pair of active studio monitors to buy. To be honest I'm on information overload, there are so many different brands out there that I don't know where to start. I'm hoping someone can help narrow down my options.

2 things I am looking for; a pair of monitors suitable for mixing in small rooms (3x3.5m). Secondly, a pair that I can work with at low volume levels and translates well at all levels.

My budget: £500-600 though may consider anything else up to £1000

Maybe recommend one in each budget range?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Craig

Hi there,
I have a pair of Mackie HR624s in a small room and I get on really well with them. (£300 used, on a good day)
I've used 824s often enough in a few different places, and I honestly think they'd have been overpowering in my room.

Your price range is good, and it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Get recommendations and go for a good name, but if possible, try out monitors.
I know it seems like a waste of a time because you're going to be in a foreign environment when testing, but still, it's worth trying some out if you can. Try to use the same, familiar, reference material, if possible.

I've used cheaper stuff from Samson, Maudio etc.....I wouldn't recommend.

Thanks for the reply Steenamaroo.

I've been looking at the Mackies; the cheapest I can find is around £800...I may consider them. I'd rather buy new. Do you experience good results when mixing at low 'night-time' levels?

I would try a bunch of monitors in person but there aren't really any dealers around my area who sell anything other than the standard KRKs Rockits, Yamahas, Alesis M1 MKIIs etc.

Speaking of the Alesis; I bought a pair a few weeks back. I went to calibrate them today and one of them just suddenly thought ''fuck it'', and stopped working... so i'll be returning those tomorrow. Tbh it's my fault as I'd been warned before hand that they were a steaming pile of pig swill. I'd rather just go straight for a pair of decent, respectable monitors.

You should be able to get the mk2s for £350 each, new.
I have the mk1s. Not sure what the difference is.

Most of my mixing is done at low levels and I've been happy with them.

Adam A7x

1300.00 a pair u.s.

thanks for the suggestion...both the Adams and the Mackies seem like a decent pair of monitors.

So far I've narrowed it down to those two plus...

Dynaudio Professional BM5A
Focal CMS-50

Last edited:
I went for none of those in the end lol. After tonnes of research I settled with a pair of Focal CMS65s. They come with a free pair of stands, as well as decouplers.

I'm thinking of getting the CMS 65s too. Does anyone know what the frequency response is like at low levels?

Back