My mixes aren't sounding as loud and thick as professionally done songs?

Yes, that's all I'm referring to. I thought I made that abundantly clear. Relax. Nobody's disagreeing with you.

Sorry, Rami, I didn't think oyu were disagreeing with me... I should've put a smiley face on that reply... oh well...

But taking ur point a step further...

U r very correct about the decibal measurements, so why does the who recording sound so much louder when we all know it doesnt measure that way? Ive always learned less is more and it seems the modern appraoch, besides compress and limit the hell out of everything, is to fill up a song with as many dozens of tracks as you can, fill that mix up! sort of thing. But it seems the more tracks you add, the quieter the mix seems to get, even if it is only perceptual and not actual.

Is less REALLY more? Seems the answer is yes. If so, then we can really start to reevaluate the way that modern engineers, at least on the commercial high end of things, are going about mixing, huh?

P.S. Here's ur smiley face, Rami, to show I wasn't being defensive....:)

Is less REALLY more? Seems the answer is yes. If so, then we can really start to reevaluate the way that modern engineers, at least on the commercial high end of things, are going about mixing, huh?

Mastering engineers, anyway. . . And welcome to Side of Light ! . . Another pair of ears has been opened. . . Perhaps one day we shall overecome. .

Interesting. What we mean by "loud" is "loud after normalising". A highly compressed track is really neither louder or softer, just compressed. Actually a very compressed track is ideal for playing as soft background music because it doesn obtrude by suddenly getting too loud and equally you can still hear all the quiet bits without them getting lost in the other ambience.
So you can validly compress at track so that it comes across better played quietly.

Sure it's a loudness war from the point of view of radio airplay where every track might be played at a standard gain but we always have a volume control and can listen at whatever level of "loudness" we choose.

Again, compression doesnt make it loud, just compressed.

Back