Multiband Compressor

Pughbert

Ok, so im bringing a recording project to a close (my own songs). The recordings have gone well and now im looking ahead to mixdown. Id like to use some multiband compression on the bass, mainly to play around with using it, and learn how its done and party because i think the bass will thank me for it, some of the low end stands out more than i want on some notes. The only multiband comp plug-in i have is the apple one (0SX), so this is what ill be playing with.

But i dont usnderstand whats controls do what very well.

The controls are as so -

Master Pre / Post gain, Attack and Release - Im happy with that!

BUT

Crossover - has 3 band EQ - is this where i set the frequencys i wish to compress?

Then there a 4 groups with - Threshold - Headroom - EQ (Gain control, no frequency control) - I understand the use of threshold - but what are the other two used for?

Cheers.

I haven't seen that one, so I am only guessing. Headroom would probably be the same as makup gain and EQ is where you set the levels of the three, now compressed, bands of sound in relation to each other.

The crossover is where you set the frequency that the signal will cross over into the next band. For bass, I would start with the crossover set at 150Hz and 1kHz. See if that works for you.

Back