Monitors, Monitors, Monitors..

Bstage

Hello Everyone,

I am an aspiring engineer/ producer who wants some good advice on a small 10 X 10 studio Moniter recommendation....

Studio Setup example....

I Me I
I I
I I
I 10 X 10 Room I

X = Monitors

The Music I am creating is West Coast Hip Hop.. Very Bassy music... I am looking for Smaller yet powerful Monitors that can reproduce Bass without a seperate subwoofer.

I am planning on purchasing acoustic Bass traps as well as foam.
I am interested in most likely a powered Monitor system.

Anything anyone can recommend for under $600.... Quality is a must !!!

Thanks..

Bstage

Since it's very bass driven music, you want something that will reproduce the bass accurately and clearly without the use of a sub. You can get a pair of KRK V6 (6" cone) for $699.98. Event makes the 20/20bas (8" cone) which are about $799.99 per pair. Event also makes the TR8XL which are 599.99 per pair. Those fit in your budget. I know you said that you wanted to keep it under $600.00, but if you can spend the extra it might benefit you in the long run. ;) Go to a local music store and try out the different monitors they have there. Then you can A/B different ones and see which pair you like better. Hope this helps.

Out of all the different pieces of gear that you can buy for a studio, monitors are number one on the list of things that you have to hear before you buy.

I've gotten some good microphone recommendations off of this board that I researched and bought without hearing, but when it came to monitors I went to the store and listened to every set they had. I listened to a few monitors that were recommended on this board that I thought sounded like absolute crap. As a result my price range went up from about $500 to $1000. Instead of getting a new pair of M-audio BX8s for $500 I waited awhile and found a pair of Mackie HR824s for about $950 used. I'm much happier having waited and saved up.

Bottom line...go to your local guitar center or whatever, bring CDs that are similar to your style and listen to them through every set of monitors they have.

Back