Monitoring room

W.S. Walcott

I live in a log home....the room where I have my monitors/VS setup is about 10 * 13 w/ knotty pine ceilings and walls...and one wall is actual log,and a wood floor....

I'm thinking of putting up some blankets on the walls for it seems like a reverb chamber...

Any recommendations?

WS,

> I'm thinking of putting up some blankets on the walls for it seems like a reverb chamber... <

Welcome to the wonderful world of acoustics and acoustic treatment. See the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

It's a long read, but well worth the effort if you're at all serious about getting good sound in your room.

--Ethan

Ethan....

Wow...

I'm @ work...and I've been reading the acoustics FAQ for the last hour....

mind emailing my boss and asking him if I can go home for the day and work on "tweaking" the acoustics in my studio....

Very, Very informative....Lots of experimentation to do....

BTW...New Milford is very nice....I'm about an hour north in MA....

The weather in the North East is depressing....kinda like the music I've been recording...Spring is right along the corner and so Is my next masterpiece!!!

Thanx

Re: Re: Monitoring room

Ethan Winer said:
WS,

> I'm thinking of putting up some blankets on the walls for it seems like a reverb chamber... <

Welcome to the wonderful world of acoustics and acoustic treatment. See the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

It's a long read, but well worth the effort if you're at all serious about getting good sound in your room.

--Ethan

Outstanding articles!!

WS and Toki,

Thanks guys. Glad you found them useful.

> The weather in the North East is depressing <

Not for me - I just stay inside all day! :D

<kidding>

--Ethan

Unscientific "Martha Stewart" approach - but it tends to work very well everywhere I've tried it...

Go to Ikea or somewhere that sells inexpensive 6' X 2' or 2.5' "runner" rugs. Something in colors and patterns that go with the style of the room. Thicker material is better in this case...

Stitch a pocket in one end that will allow for a 1" dowel rod (stained to match the wood) or use painted conduit, pipe, iron, whatever.

You can mount several of these at 7' high using those... You know, those things that hold pipes up - Like a shelf bracket, but with a dip in it (brain failure) to hold the pipe. Curtain rod hangers, you know?

You want these to sit around 4" from the walls. Staggered - Don't have them directly across the room from each other.

This way, you can kill some standing waves, absorb a lot of nasties, AND add an "artsy" touch to the room without spoiling the rustic atmosphere.

Heavy, dense furniture will help control low end a little... If so inclined, Auralex LENERD's in the corners may help a lot, and they're not too ugly, either...

A nice area rug on the floor may help considerably also...

Best 'o luck

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Back