monitoring with headphones

cBas

Can good monitoring be done with a set of good monitor headphones(for maybe 150 bucks)
Or do you really need a set of +500 dollar monitor speakers?

Phones let you hear certain things very well and are good for checking details, the problem is that mixes done on them don't translate well to speaker systems.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25471&pagenumber=1

i second vox'sopinion....with GOOD headphones, you can get pretty even levels and thats about it (my opinion)...unless they are pretty flat, you wont have much luck with EQ'ing...also, for panning, headphones really exaggerate the stereo field.....i tried mixing with headphones and gave up....now I mix on a stereo reciever and speakers and that doesnt suck as much, but still does....

Whate are these Yorkvilles you speak of. BTW I was thinking of getting some AKG K240DF or something like that.

Yep, stirred that one up and then bailed...I guess you neededtime to think up all those "if money was no object" posts.......

You can buy the most popular monitors in the world for $429.00 Canadian (Yamaha NS-10's).. thats like $349.00 american.... Some say the shittier the speaker, the better the mix or something to that effect , I don't know if I totally agree, but if true, you can get a set of Sony bookshelf speakers for $129.00.... I would say go for speakers at any cost... you can track with $13.00 walkman headphones.... It's the mix that you need the sound for.

Vox sold out!!!!

Pushing the Japan made ns-10s over the candian made ym-1s!

Cbas,
The yorkville ysm-1 is a nearfield monitor that is very popular around this board. Bang for buck, they are great. Yes there are better monitors out there but they cost alot more than that!

I've never heard Those speakers (yorkville's), but if there popular around here they must be good... Im looking for a new set of monitors.... I've been using Ns-10's and Polk Audio RT-5's... I should check 'em out... Yorkville scares me a bit, I had a PA from them, and it said it was 400 watt, Yet.... The sound of my fingers hitting the keys was louder than what was coming out of the stacks, Ok well im exagerating.....

Back