Monitor White Noise - Yorkville YSM1P

MisterRob

II just had received a used pair of Yorkville YSM1P's that I bought used on Ebay. The units seem to work fine despite the soft domes on the tweeters having been pushed in during transport. I listened to a pair in a store a few weeks ago and the sound quality seems to be the same.

The problem, however, is that after about 20 minutes of operation, this pretty loud white noise starts coming out of both speakers (both seem to start about the same time). Even when you turn the line in signal off, they still emit a fairly audible white noise that does not change in volume despite:

- Changing the trim level control on the monitors
- Unplugging cables (thought it was a cabling issue, but even when unplugged the noise persists)
- Moving monitors away from the wall

I am thinking it must be some sort of feedback that build up in the amps over time, since when you turn them off, and back on again, the white noise is gone - but seems to come back faster once the units have been used for a bit.

Does anyone know what may be causing it, and whether I have been the unwitting recipient of a lemon pair of speakers - important as I have yet to leave feedback on these monitors and am within the sellers 3 day return window.

Not sure if the domes on the tweeters having been pushed in may be contributing to this or if it is something else. Any thoughts, experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i found this.

Sounds like either a bad cable, or maybe a bad solder (ground) connection
where that input plugs in.

If the sound continued with no input plugged in, I was going to suggest a
problem with that amp channel.

There are two things you can try which might help but won't remove the
root of the problem. If the plug for the right channel equipment is
two-prong, flip it over in the socket. This can remove significant AC
from the chassis. Second, take some wire and connect the chassis of the
offending equipment to the amp. This will prevent the "half-in"
condition while you use the rca connector.

or this?
you mean as the machine warms up the white noise gets worse or every
day, after you turn it on it gets worse (cumulative?)

If the former, grab some component cooler and shoot some of the
components until you find the one that makes the white noise go away.
(Start with the amplifier chip). Also, make sure your speakers are
ok. Distortion of staticy nature is almost always an amp circuit
problem, starting with the amps themselves and going backwards from
there (bad input=bad output)

sounds almost thermal related, as you said it gets worse.
the fact both do it is strange.

imagine you tried the basics already.. like different sound sourse, different cables, different ac plugs.

Yep, I tried the basics, and it is definitely something wrong inside the amp. I sent an Email to Yorkville support yesterday. I posted here because I have little faith in tech-support (as, with other companies I have found tech-support to be extremely unhelpfull and slow) so figured they would not help me with an answer. Yorkville, however, seems to be both helpful and fast. I got a response in under an hour that read as follows:

It is fairly easy for a service technician to rectify the problem. All that is required is that capacitor "C5" ( which sits right beside the volume control) should be replaced with a short circuit (a piece of bare wire will work perfectly). I can assure you that the noise will never return after C5 is shorted out.

Given the quickness of the response, and the fact that the Email looked like a cut and paste job, I suspect this is a common problem with the YSM1P's. I have written back to find out why this problem would only have shown up as the speakers got older (as the previous owner says he never had the problem). I am still waiting for an answer from Yorkville.

I have no particular elctrician skill, so I may have a friend who is a bit more knowledgeable about such things than I take a crack at doing this, but it seems like a fairly simple fix.

Anyway, figured I'd post it in case another YSM1P owner has the same problem.

Thanks for the response, I'll let you know if this works.

excellent post ...

so did you get a good deal$$ on your Yorks?
being the seller must have known...

i hope you got a great price...you should send an email to the seller saying you fixed it by adding a little bare wire.

ebay... Everybody Beware 'ay !

Thank you!

Thanks for posting this! Who knows if you'll ever read, but I have the exact same issue with my YSM-1P!
wonder if they ever got back about why C5 was there in the first place! thanks again!

Yep, I tried the basics, and it is definitely something wrong inside the amp. I sent an Email to Yorkville support yesterday. I posted here because I have little faith in tech-support (as, with other companies I have found tech-support to be extremely unhelpfull and slow) so figured they would not help me with an answer. Yorkville, however, seems to be both helpful and fast. I got a response in under an hour that read as follows:

It is fairly easy for a service technician to rectify the problem. All that is required is that capacitor "C5" ( which sits right beside the volume control) should be replaced with a short circuit (a piece of bare wire will work perfectly). I can assure you that the noise will never return after C5 is shorted out.

Given the quickness of the response, and the fact that the Email looked like a cut and paste job, I suspect this is a common problem with the YSM1P's. I have written back to find out why this problem would only have shown up as the speakers got older (as the previous owner says he never had the problem). I am still waiting for an answer from Yorkville.

I have no particular elctrician skill, so I may have a friend who is a bit more knowledgeable about such things than I take a crack at doing this, but it seems like a fairly simple fix.

Anyway, figured I'd post it in case another YSM1P owner has the same problem.

Thanks for the response, I'll let you know if this works.

It's 2021 and this thread keeps on giving! Just fixed a pair of YSM1Ps that I had kicking around by using this info. Speakers still sound great and replacing C5 with a jumper worked a treat.

Thank you, and sorry for digging this thread !
It indeed keeps on giving and I am happy to have found this thread !
Just fixed the pair my father gave to me.
Thank you all, this pair has a huge emotional value to me !

Back