Monitor vs stereo out

dewy

i am confused to what is the diffrence between the stereo uot of a mixer and the monitor out.

On the mixer i use there is a stereo L & R out that the monitors are setup to and a monitor l & R jack on the back of the YAMAHA 01v mixer.

What do each of them perform?

What do i use them for?

The STEREO OUT is for output to what ever you're mixing to (cassette, reel, DAT, CD-R, CD-RW, minidisk, DAW, etc.). The MONITOR OUT is for output to your monitor system. The purpose of this during mixdown is so you can adjust the level going to the monitors (volume) at the console and not affect the level going to what ever you're mixing to.

I forgot to mention that during tracking, you can do the same idea as well for each channel on the console. Depending on the console's capabilities (routing options), you can create different mixes all from the same source all at the same time. An example of this would be one for the multitrack through the DIRECT OUT or INSERT OUT on each channel (you're just focusing one getting the hottest signals for this), one for the control room through the MONITOR OUT, one for the performer(s) using one or two of the AUX SEND knobs and through the AUX OUT. If there is more than one AUX SEND and AUX OUT, then different mixes for different performers can be created. Also, if you want FX (usually done during mixdown), then you can create mixes for FX using the AUX SEND and AUX OUT. The output of the FX returns through the AUX RTN. Of course there are many other applications for different mixes. Another example would be using a BUS (also called GROUP) for rounting multiple channels down to one or so channels.

Just out of curiousity. Is the Line Out and Monitor Out's signal the same quality. Can I do .. say mixdown via Monitor Out .. just for the fun of it ?

On the mixer built into the TASCAM PS the monitor out goes through one more amp stage so is a little noisier than the line out.

Back