Monitor recommendation

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
I'm sure you guys get this all the time, but I'm looking at near-field monitors and I need a recommendation. I'd like to have a nice pair for under $200 (preferably more like $150) and I was thinking of the Alesis ProLinear 720 (not the DSP version). I couldn't find much information on them, though, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I need a set that's active and they need to have good shielding because I get all kinds of interference while I'm at school (really irritating buzzing that I have tried everything to get rid of). I guess I'd also like them to have different types of inputs. I would definitely like to have RCA inputs, but I wouldn't mind them having a mini jack, too. Anyway, thoughts? Thanks.

studio monitors that have RCA and mini 1/8 input jacks?.......?????........??????

most decent ones that ive come across usually have either 1/4 or mic inputs, ive never seen em with RCA or mini 1/8 inputs.................but they could be out there i guess.......

for decent studio monitors, i would go for any "active/powered", and at least a 5inch woofer with a 1inch tweeter. For your price range, check out M-audio BX5 on Ebay,.....you can find em for about $150 used........those will be your best bet, and best bang for your buck..........

If you have a headphone jack on your interface/card, just get an RCA adapter, and then 2 RCA (male) to XLR (male) cables for left and right stereo.

Well, that's why I was saying it would be nice, but not necessary. I've got RCA -> mini cables that I've been using. I actually decided to go ahead and buy a pair of the Edirol MA-15Ds:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Edirol-MA15D-Digital-Stereo-Micro-Monitor-Pair?sku=603678
They got a lot of good reviews, and I think they're what my school uses in the video editing labs. They're small enough to be practical, and I think they should sound fine. I hope this was a wise purchase...

I didn't, but I'll probably check my mix on another set of speakers and headphones anyway. Am I at least right in assuming that the magnetic shielding will get rid of the buzzing?

I'm sure you guys get this all the time, but I'm looking at near-field monitors and I need a recommendation. I'd like to have a nice pair for under $200 (preferably more like $150) and I was thinking of the Alesis ProLinear 720 (not the DSP version). I couldn't find much information on them, though, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I need a set that's active and they need to have good shielding because I get all kinds of interference while I'm at school (really irritating buzzing that I have tried everything to get rid of). I guess I'd also like them to have different types of inputs. I would definitely like to have RCA inputs, but I wouldn't mind them having a mini jack, too. Anyway, thoughts? Thanks.

I'm very impressed with the thought and engineering that has gone into the Blue Sky line of monitors. Integration of subwoofers is part of the design from the beginning, and both subs and satellites are sealed, not ported designs which has many sonic advantages. The new "EXO" setup, their smallest, might be of interest, if you decide you want a system with a subwoofer, so that you can actually hear what's going on in the low end. :) The whole system is $400 and has 1/8" stereo and RCA inputs, I think.

IIRC, the website is www.abluesky.com

Cheers,

Otto

Back