Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor Comparison - Mixed the same song on 2 sets of monitors (clips included)...

Thanks

Arrow Monitor Comparison - Mixed the same song on 2 sets of monitors (clips included)...

Sign in to disable this ad
    This has all the makings of another subjective "shoot-out" but there ya go.........

Obligatory Notes and Disclaimers
    I took this tune and mixed it using Event PS6s with Tannoy Proto-Js as secondaries... this was back in November.

When I recently upgraded my control room monitors to KRK V8s, I was curious about the difference in translation and mixing (especially since the V8s seemed so much more revealing) that I mixed the tune again using the V8s and Yorkville YSM-1i as secondaries.

Both the Tannoys and Yorkvilles were powered by a Hafler P3000 amp.

Now, there will of course be some difference in the mix due to the fact that on any given day, it isn't likely that a person will mix the same song the exact same way twice, even using the same monitors! So the way I approached this is to mix it on each set WITHOUT comparison to the other - I was simply mixing the track as I would have based solely on what I was hearing.

The Clips and My Impressions
    I thought about doing this blind, but there's really no point, since I learned what I needed to know from the exercise, and the "blind" factor wouldn't be of any use to anyone else!

As I said, I found the KRKs much more revealing and less forgiving about tonal "strangeness" than the PS6s and comparing these two clips in the control room bore that out...

As well, I found it much easier to translate mixes using the V8s than I did with the PS6s... although the PS6s are quite reasonable monitors - they do have their weaknesses....

Anyways, enough blabbering....

http://207.176.147.104/bbs.nsf/c558e...reAgainPS6.mp3

http://207.176.147.104/bbs.nsf/c558e...ereAgainV8.mp3

Bruce
    Last edited by Blue Bear Sound; 03-03-2002 at 11:52.

Thanks
    I hear the biggest differences with the drums...with the hh and snare being more pronounced and crispy on the 2nd version. The overall mix sounds a little brighter too...leading me to think that either you're getting older!(and the ears are losing it due to age), or the little Events push the high end out a little more.

On a side note, I sent a mix to Harvey G. about two years ago, when debating whether or not you could tell what monitors you mixed on, soley by listening to the mix....and he picked 'em...the JBL 4311's that I've primarily been using for the last 20 years. I didn't know that's what he used also, but I found it kinda amazing. I certainly couldn't do it, and lost that debate

Thanks
    Gotta echo mix's comment on the second mix being brighter. The hats in particular which would lead me to the same conclusion about highend response on one set of the monitors.

Thanks
    Yes, the PS6s tend to give this glossiness to the highs and I usually ended up with less bright mixes than I wanted, so I had to compensate....

The V8s however tend to tell it more like it is... when I had played the mix from the PS6s on them, I found the PS6 mix sounded muddy and dark, whereas the V8 mix sounded more open and natural, even when played back on the PS6s!

The biggest change I find is that had I heard things on the V8s, I wouldn't have mixed them the way I had on the PS6s. The brightness, the slight muddiness in the vocal, the slight boominess on the bass... all these things didn't show up when monitoring on the Events - but they were very clearly audible on the KRKs though!

Bruce

Thanks
    nice mixes. personally felt that the brass came out a little too much. that track needs some cymbals! where are they?

nice work man.

Thanks
    Originally posted by LongWaveStudio
    nice mixes. personally felt that the brass came out a little too much. that track needs some cymbals! where are they?

nice work man.
    Thanks! I only mixed the tracks I had! (I didn't track it...)

I had done a mix with the brass lower, but I didn't care for it -- personal preference I suppose, I like brass that punches through a bit....

Bruce

Thanks
    FWIW, I like the PS6/Proto-J mix.

The V8 mix sounds brighter/thinner.

Thanks
    You're a freak Dolemite!!!

Bruce

Thanks
    Don't I know it!

Just had to go against the grain on this one

Thanks
    Where's the bass drum? Don't tell me the drummer was playing with one of those "jazzy" sets (?) That's what I'm guessing, but if not, then I'd say both monitors may have been too strong in the 60-80 hz region . . . but I'm guessing that was probably just the style of the music, right? Good mixes, though. Great high-end detail on mix #2.

Thread Information