mixing videos

polarity

Any of you guys ever consider doing a series of videos about the process? Even the whole process from recording to mixing, mastering, selling, crying, drooling on yourselves from all the drugs you bought with the profits or whatever else happens?

All joking aside though, I know most of us newer people would love to watch the process. We know some of the things you do, but we don't really know why.

I've always thought about it but my hitch and where I got hung up was communicating why I would do something. A lot of the dialog would go like this

"I strap a 4 band and crank this motherfucker right about here all the way up, because that is what I want to do right now."

Or:

"Shove this mic in here like this because that's how I do."

I mean really I could probably communicate better than that but BLAH I don't want to be bothered. Plus making videos like that are very involved, time consuming projects to edit and put together cohesively. What could you really get out of a 4 hour long raw mixing video filled with 2-3 hours of editing?

I've watched tons of youtube stuff, maybe what I need to be doing is reading books. I'll start with EQ for example. There are lots of "tips" on how to eq but basically the process breaks down to this.

Open your EQ, start moving up and down through the frequencies until you find one you don't like.. Then subtract from it.. do it again and find one you like and add to it. That's the basic dumbed down version but when I follow the steps they provide you end up with a strange sound on MOST frequencies. So I'm not completely sure what I'm listening for. Maybe that's more on training your ear but since I've never heard anyone actually play a sound, pump the frequency and say hear that sound, hear how it grumbles or is tinny or whatever. Could just be beginners stupidity too.

There are sites like MixCoach.com or Duelingmixes.com that will offer you monthly (both are payd sites) a song for you to mix. And with the song, they provide the complete video walkthrough how they mixed that month song. It's VERY usefull and you can see the whole process. i really recommend!

PG
pgaudio.com.br

Back