Mixing software/plugins...advice?

UtahBites

Greetings mix masters...

I recently became aware of the PA 9 limitation (for mixing) wherein VU meters are NOT available for track playback for the mixing process. :mad: (meters only available for recording processes).

My question is this: Is there anyone that has used CWPA 9 to mix/master successfully? (Without meters, I feel like I'm mixing blindfolded)

What set-up (software+plugins) might you recommend for mixing upwards of 25+ tracks at once??
I am considering an upgrade to Sonar...but would like to get some feedback from people in the know HERE about what software/plugins are working best. Of course, I am looking for something with good Parametric EQ and Spectrum analyzer (if not featured in the software, software plugins?)

Thanks in advance for the sug's...I've read much in this forum and has been a great resource!
ub

btw, here is my setup:
Duron 700mhz
Epox 8kta2 (via kt133) mobo, (ata100)
3 x 128MB RAM (pc133)
Win98se
WD 20GB primary c: drive on IDE 1 (ata 100, 7200 rpm)
IBM 40GB secondary d: drive on IDE 1 (ata 100, IDE, 7200 rpm)
CD-rom, primary on IDE 2
CD-burner secondary on IDE2
Soundblaster 128 PCI
Geforce2mx video (32 mb)

i don't see the problem there. i'm mixing within cakewalk without any problems. if you're worried about clipping, there's a clipping indicator there. if anything clips, the red light goes on. other than that, i personally can mix without vu meters or led indicators or anything like that. if i think something's too loud, i just turn it down, without paying much attention to how many dbs that particular track's putting out. if it's distorting, i can certainly hear. and if it sounds good, it is good. however, there's a db level indicator in the control panel view. when you click on a slider, it shows its level. that's enough for me, but then what do i know?;)

adriano

where are the playback meters??

say there Postal...

What version of cwpa are YOU using? I have no track meters available during playback in Console or Track views in cwpa 9. I was told by other members of in the Cakewalk forum that version 8 has playback meters, and version 9 does not (only available for recording in/out). I'm NOT recording nor using midi files.

I would appreciate any advice or such into your setup--Is there a way to set up a mixdown bus or some work-around where I can route all my tracks to where I can see levels?!
I certainly don't disagree with you, in that if it sounds good, it IS good...however...I am working on some very complex mixes for a 15-song CD (over 30+ wav files per song) and getting the average AND peak levels right from song-to-song is proving to be quite troublesome (without the help of visual metering for peak/average volumes).

Your help is GREATLY appreciated...thanx again!
ub

utah,

i see your point. i'm working with 24-plus-track projects too, but i'm working around the metering issue by using whatever experience i've got with cakewalk, and by using the level indicator just above the sliders. it's to the farthest left over the sliders. whenever you click on a slider strip, it shows you the current db level for that slider. there are no track meters, but you can see what level each slider is at by doing as i told you. too bad they didn't at least think of including one of those for each track.

adriano

just what view wuz that you're in...?

Thanks for the advice Adriano...
...so what view are these db level indicators in??
(I'm assuming Console view...I'll start the search high and low for them tonight). I'm also going to p!ss around with the bussing to see if I can't get some meters to appear...even for a mixdown would be nice at this point.

I'm trying hard to unchap my @$$ over this issue and just take it like a drummer...but I'm still looking/hoping for other options. (Maybe switching to other software, but I am not familiar with many others and I don't look forward to unistall/reinstalling other software at this stage of the game).

Anywho...thanks for the input.
ub

My recommendation would be to upgrade to sonar your puter should do well with it as long as you take it easy on the realtime plug-ins. Get something like Wavelab or Soundforge to tweak your final mixes.Lots a plugs out there,my personal favs are waves rcl,I use it a lot on the master bus,very effective tool.Ozone is pretty hot as a mastering plug, in either w.l. or s.f. You can't go wrong with any of the waves plugs or bundles.When you have time just start downloading demo,s like crazy,what works for me might not cut it for you.PAZ makes a realtime spectrum analyzer, I think,never used it though. Good Luck,Keith

Thanks for the advice Keith...already started on the download of demo plugins.
Now, if I can just talk the guys into another postponement in the process whilst I install/uninstall/test/retest other options...hmf.

mucho thanxioso
ub

Back