Mixing-Reverb-different outcomes on different speakers

pure.fusion

Hi all,

I've recently recorded two songs and spent a few days playing with the mix. I did nothing out of the ordinary; just made sure each instrument had it's own space and applied some reverb. The result was adequate, or even 'good' going by my standards.

I mix using some Senheiser HD280 headphones and I also check the sound on some Studio monitors, KRK Rokits. I trust the headphones more than the monitors.

In current song I am working on, I have applied some reverb to the main guitar part and mixed it in using my headphones. Then when I export the song and play it on my hifi (of quality), I could hear a lot more reverb in the mix - too much in fact. There seems to be a large difference in the perceived amount of reverb.

Does this happen to you guys?

Cheers,
FM

I trust the headphones more than the monitors.

...... when I export the song and play it on my hifi (of quality), I could hear a lot more reverb in the mix - too much in fact. There seems to be a large difference in the perceived amount of reverb.

That's 'cuz you're trusting your headphones. :(

Headphones are a BAD choice for mixing....PERIOD.
Use them to check individual things....zoom in on certain sonic issues...etc...
...but MIX through the monitors, not the headphones.

If you don't like your monitors...get better ones. :)

Well, I don't not trust my monitors - they're ok I think. Just at the moment, they're too close to the wall, and it gives me too much bass - they need to come into the centre of the room more.

... my point being, since I'm in front of my PC with monitors and headphones, I actually use both to mix - sort of swap between the two. I just swap 70/30 in favour of the head phones.

I also burn the mix to a disk from time to time and play it upstairs on my baby (that's the hifi pretending to be one of my children) and play it in the car - just to see how they all handle it.

... I'm hoping you guys do the same, otherwise I'll look a bit weired :o

So, really, there seems to be a lot more perceived reverb on my hifi than all the other three souces.

.. but I'll take your advice on board if mixing on headphones is generally seen as a big no-no.

Cheers.

FM

So, really, there seems to be a lot more perceived reverb on my hifi than all the other three souces.

.. but I'll take your advice on board if mixing on headphones is generally seen as a big no-no.

It may be the room that your HiFi is in....

Just about everyone at the begining thinks headphones are better (been there, done that)...:)...but you will find that your mixes rarely translate across other systems when you use headphones to mix with...
...they will only sound right, on headphones! :D

If you don't like your monitors...get better ones. :)

Maybe even before new monitors, you should consider room treatment. Mixing with monitors gives you a better perspective on the stereo field (left to right) and the levels of each respective track (front to back). Headphones don't do these functions as clearly as monitors will. Sometimes a new room, consideration to placement of your monitors, and/or room treatment can do wonders for your mixing experience.

Look into it. There's an acoustics sections of this forum and with some research and possibly some help, you can make an improvement to your listening environment.

I will 100% gaurantee that the problem is due to headphone mixing. Pop into 'phone land every now and then to check up, but spend 99% of your time on the speakers.

Hi all,

I've recently recorded two songs and spent a few days playing with the mix. I did nothing out of the ordinary; just made sure each instrument had it's own space and applied some reverb. The result was adequate, or even 'good' going by my standards.

I mix using some Senheiser HD280 headphones and I also check the sound on some Studio monitors, KRK Rokits. I trust the headphones more than the monitors.

In current song I am working on, I have applied some reverb to the main guitar part and mixed it in using my headphones. Then when I export the song and play it on my hifi (of quality), I could hear a lot more reverb in the mix - too much in fact. There seems to be a large difference in the perceived amount of reverb.

Does this happen to you guys?

Cheers,
FM

Reverb, like anything else in the mix, is going to sound different on different speakers no matter what. Every speaker is colored, eqed differently and projects differently (voicing) which affects how much of a certain frequency and sound source is pronounced in the mix. Period.

Mixing on a truly flat speaker system in a neutral room minimizes this effect.

But, I think the problem here is that you're working in reverse. As mentioned before, headphones are a bad choice for mixing as a main source, because of the way our ears perceive and locate sound. In the studio, they are meant to be used as a reference, personal listening and critical listening.

Natural listening happens as a summed effect between both ears, meaning we hear things better by using both our ears to pin point the location of a sound at a distance.

By mixing on your headphones, you essentially alter the ability to accurately in pin point sounds because you've effectively separated your ears entirely.

If I where you, I would look into calibrating your room as best you can (setup the speakers properly, sound treatments, etc) and get into the habit of learning and trusting your speakers AND your room.

Use headphones just to double check your sounds and to pin point any pops, clicks or other flaws that are hard to point out otherwise.

Back