Mixing for practice

noisewreck

So, I've been in a creative slump lately. Can't come up with any musical ideas that when I listen back I go "I'm goooood". It's more like "yuck... what's up with that hackney'd nonsense", "what was I thinking", and the like.

So, instead of beating myself over it I want to try something I haven't done before: Mix stuff that someone else has written, performed and tracked.

I offer to mix your tunes for free as a practice for myself.

My DAW setup is Cubase SX 2, NI Komplete and UAD-1. Monitoring is on Mackie HR824s.

I have no outboard gear, unless you count the Kurzweil K2600XS with LiveMode which allows me to use it for FX and other audio processing.

Please PM me if there are any takers and we can decide on the particulars.

i would take you up on that offer.........BUT......

all my projects are recorded in SONAR 6 PE projects........and i dont think you can dump those into Cubase.........

I've got Cubase LE, so I might be able to give you something, if I didn't feel my mixes already rocked.

Maybe if I track something good. So far almost everything I've done has been me recording myself playing various instruments.

i would take you up on that offer.........BUT......

all my projects are recorded in SONAR 6 PE projects........and i dont think you can dump those into Cubase.........
Actually, I don't want the project itself, but the individual .wav or .aiff files of the individual tracks.

This is what I'd do. Export each track from your DAW to a separate file, making sure they're all the same length. On Cubase, you'd put the start and end markers at the beginning and the end of the song, and export each track one by one. Thus when imported, all I'd need to do is line up the beginning of each track.

Please name each track with the instrument/mic position name, for example "Drums_Overhead_Left", and state the bitdepth/samplerate.

I'd prefer this way of doing things from the Cubase users as well.

OK.......i can do that. But in wav file format.......wont these files be huge (data)? trying to email you these files one by one ......could take quite some time......

Time to do some covers. Very good practice. I've go 20 or so of my own stuff on the burners. But have no lyrics for them. So I do alot of covers to learn. In the past 8 months I have learned a hell of alot. But still not enough. What the hell am I talking about?

Yeah, I as well would like to mix other peoples' stuff to get a feel for diverse material. Any people that wouldn't mind also linking me as well... Thanks dudes,

-Joel

Back