mixing for multiple loudness levels

rickvdvulkaan

Hello, first post here. I searched for similar topics, but couldn't really find one. i hope i'm at the right place for this.

This is more of a workflow question. I'm generally a one-man-band-video editor/sound mixer. Often i have to deal with multiple types of presentation. Television, youtube, facebook, etc. For Television (netherlands/europe) the loudness standard is often -23LUFS. Now i know there are no strict rules, but i wonder what the most frequently used technique is. should i first create a mix as loud/full as possible, and then adjust/compress the overall volume down to match the loudness specification for each platform? or start off with a mix that is created with -23LUFS in mind, and adjust/compress the overall volume up for internet/social purposes? fact is that i cannot create a entire new mix for each platform, there is simply no time/budget for that, (and i also wonder if that is really gonna make things sound better, i rather keep the same dynamics for everything)

anyone with some experience in this that cares to share some thoughts around this subject?

this is almost more of a 'mastering' question,
because in mixing, you always strive for tonal and harmonic balance,
not volume.

as usual,
you use your ears.
use the meters to set your 'max' volume in LUFS at -23,
but use your ears to blend the other elements below the max,
which i assume will only be the loudest parts, cuz they need to be!

this is almost more of a 'mastering' question,
because in mixing, you always strive for tonal and harmonic balance,
not volume.

Hmm i'm not sure if i explained it correctly.
I think the question is more if it is a mastering or mixing question. I also forgot to tell that it is not about music production, more an audio-post production thing in general. TV-shows, radio/video commercials, etc. (not sure now if im on the right forum :) )

Maybe a more specific example will clear things up.
When i'm post-mixing a video production, which is meant to air on television but also gets uploaded on youtube, i mostly mix it with alot of headroom, using both my ears and db/luf meters to keep things consistent. at the end of the day, i add a compressor/limiter onto the master, to meet the broadcast EBU-specifications. then i adjust the compressor/limiter to a more suitable level for youtube.

^is that a ''correct'' workflow? 1 mix, multiple masters, or do people really adjust the mix itself for all the different platforms? Again, talking about all kinds (tbh, except music) of audio post production.

Last edited:
When i'm post-mixing a video production, which is meant to air on television but also gets uploaded on youtube, i mostly mix it with alot of headroom, using both my ears and db/luf meters to keep things consistent. at the end of the day, i add a compressor/limiter onto the master, to meet the broadcast EBU-specifications. then i adjust the compressor/limiter to a more suitable level for youtube.

^is that a ''correct'' workflow? 1 mix, multiple masters, or do people really adjust the mix itself for all the different platforms? Again, talking about all kinds (tbh, except music) of audio post production.

if it were me, i'd mix into the compessor/limiter,
because of how much the mix can change by simply adding a limiter AFTER the fact.

i think utoob shoots for -14LUFS as it's standard today.

Good day guys

I really need help ASAP.
I wanna buy a small monitor for my home studio.
I have two choices
Beeinger ms16 and M audio As32.

Which of them is a better monitor for mixing and recording

Hi Mrrevilo......I think you mean the M-audio AV32 right? Listen.....both of those systems will not be very accurate for mixing at all. You need better monitors than those. If they're your budget.....then you might be better off investing in a very good set of headphones and wait until you can get better monitors. What's your budget? What equipment do you currently have? Tell us and we can help you.

Mick

I have a focusrite sound card , laptop. And a midi keyboard. And a beringher hps 3000 headset.
I wanted something I can play out with.
I saw the beringer ms16 and it came cheaper than M audio Av32.
I felt like coming here to ask for help. I’m new, I do film score

This from an online review of the Behringers: "The quality isn't great - a little tinny with basically non-existent bass" - this is what you are going to find with ANY small speakers that sell for $100 a pair.
When you say 'play out with', I assume you mean just have sound in yoru room, rather than headphones, not "play out" which to most musicians means gigging.

These speakers are underpowered (8 watt and 10 watt amps), small woofers means no low end at all (not even the low notes of a guitar). Certainly with film scores, you are going to want a clear defined bass response as low sub sounds are used often. Are you mixing, or just tracking/recording?

Back