Mixing to monitor on headphones?

Worldofblues

My partner I have 2 instruments (usually guitar and piano) a drum machine (sometimes) and two microphones. When we are learning a tune we are constantly struggling to hear an original (perhaps a CD or computer) while we try to focus on our own instruments or the part we are struggling with (vocals, rhythm or instruments) .

We are thinking a solution would be for each to use headphones to monitor all this with the ability to control the volume on any input personally (so perhaps I want the drum and my guitar loud at one point in time while my partner wants the CD and her microphone). Any combo really at any given time.

Lately I've been thinking if I had I could use a Mackie LV1202 with 2 headphone amps running off the aux1 and aux2 outputs (both mono but I don't know that that will be that bad). Perhaps I could instead use the 8 channel model which would only have one aux out but have the other person use the headphone out - which would give one person stereo and the other a mono mix.

Does this sound like it would work? Any input or alternative recommendations would be most welcome.

Thanks, Kelly

Not familiar with the Mackie but if you can assign inputs to the aux outputs separately, that would work. The other solution woudl also work, but less easily as one person (the one using the main headphone out) would be listening to the main mix, the other the aux mix.

Back