Mixing issues, help

Mariusvan

Hi.
I am new to recording. I am only recording my friend as this stage. He is a jazz guitarist and I use backtracks from IrealPro.
I am unsure whether my mix is jazzy enough and whether the guitars sound jazzy enough. I try to give more preference to the bass guitar to give a feeling of a staged jazz group. I do not have monitor speakers nor the budget for it soon. Any suggestions will be welcome. View attachment My funny valentine.mp3 if sound file cannot be reached visit youtu.be/fOhnvuoooI0 although this is a different file but same style.

The MP3 and video sound pretty different to my ear, especially the stereo pan.

Not bad, though I am not a jazz guy. (I used listen to Joe Pass a lot, though!)

Video sync is good.

I'm guessing the guitar sounds like what you heard? Sounds good to me.

I'm not sold on the bass or drum sounds, but they work for providing the base. (Again, not a jazz guy, so maybe it's perfect.)

It's a little loose rhythm-wise, but maybe that's the way it's supposed to be and not a mix thing. I don't see the guitarist wearing headphones so you must have had the backing track playing while you recorded the amp? Or did you record the guitar direct and mix that later?

I'd probably try something different with the panning. Things feel a little indefinite in placement in my one listen with headphones. Can't say what, but I'd probably keep it simple with just placement of mono for bass & guitar and maybe narrowly spread keys and drum tracks.

Jazz is our thing. I can make a few comments. The actual guitar sounds pretty typical of this kind of material, but is suffers because the backing track is horrible. The piano with quite uninspiring block chords is spread over quite an area so it plays many of the notes the guitar is playing - so they clash a bit. The other thing is that he sustains lots of the notes and this is less common practice. On a musical perspective, it also sounds like he's not decided if he should be playing the tune, or improvising around the tune and kind of chickening out? The brushes are far too high in the mix, but as it's a track you can't do much with that. It also just sounds like a very iffy electronic piano. the guitar sound is better than the track sounds which is a shame. The guitarist really is better than the tracks. Are they just stereo, or properly mixable stems?

Thank you for the reply's. I have the amp recorded direct and mic`ed in an enclosure but hearble while recording. At the same time I do the video and do the editing on the video once done with the track. I will pay attention to your comments and post with the same track again.

Neither. I have a laptop running Windows. iReal Pro is not yet available in a Windows format but will run with an emulator. There are lots of emulators out there and I was wondering if anyone else in my position had found one or another of them useful. BlueStacks works but is always trying to get you to try out other apps or pay a monthly fee to use Blue Stacks, which I only want to use with iReal Pro. Which is what I may end up doing but I hope there's a better option.

Back