Mixing Issues

TelePaul

J to the R O C
Hey guys, I know this is a stupid post so dont feel oblige to respond, I'm aware the whole concept of mixing is an art unto itself. Still, you might be able to gimme a few ideas...

Firstly, I'm having trouble getting cd qulaity from my home...i'm not too worried, as im new to this and my set up is entry level. You can find one mix I did here:

http://www.bebo.com/grp/Grp.jsp

Largely my problem is that something will sound great through my monitor and on my home stereo...but through headphones or streamed from the net it sounds crap...I know this is expected, but it wont happen with professionally done CDs. So, how do I take steps to improve the quality? I presume its a mixture of the instrument quality as its inut and the quality of sequencer and soundcard and pre-amps. Still, I find it hard to make my mix seem...well, lets say '3 D'...it seems kinda lifeless, no matter how I pan it and how much reverb I mess with. Guitar parts seem week and bass seems either too loud or too quiet.

Maybe someone could recommend an article on EQ? the search button never produces result of any kind for me...not sure why, maybe coz my pc blocks almost everything. I know this was a silly post, and its ridiculous to expect a definitive answer for better mixing and mastering but if anyone could give me even basic tips on improving the quality of a mix, thatd be great.

well, your link is down.

look for SouthSide Glen's tutorial on compression, it's in his signature. thats a good place to start learning about mixing.

Yep, definetly need to learn about compression to fix your translation problems. LOL :rolleyes:

Without knowing much about your setup, this is kind of a stab in the dark, but I'm guessing your mixing enviroment is pretty screwed up. Also, listening to commercial cd's on your system will help you learn to translate your mixes (make them sound good everywhere). It is really something you have to LEARN to do.

The bass situation is most probably a poorly tuned room. You can either treat it or as mentioned above, listen to commercial CD's that you like in your mixing environment and learn to compensate.

I'm probably not much help as I have many of the same frustrations. One of my biggest problems is my mixes always sound like a guitar playing, a bass playing, a drummer playing...instead of like a band playing.

One tip I have picked up is check your mix in MONO in your studio setting before committing to a finished product. Sometimes doing that, you'll have instruments that disappear from the mix which shows you have some panning issues (I guess thats what it shows).

I guess that's why the great bulk of us come here, to learn and share ideas and frustrations.

NL5 said:
Yep, definetly need to learn about compression to fix your translation problems. LOL :rolleyes:

ahh, i didnt even read his whole thing, he said help with mixing, i said learn how to use a compressor :o

hey its still good to learn about!

youre right about compression...though i ahve rack compressor with some handy pre-sets that ive gotten mixed results from...whats translation?

TelePaul said:
See I really have NO idea what this means...

I was poking a little fun at the first reply. Compression has nothing to do with the problems you are describing. :)

You'll have to forgive me! Low-brow political humour I can do, but sound recording is so new to me!

RAMI said:
Here, go nuts...See you in a month. There WILL be a test. :D http://theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

That really sums it all up. As I said above - you really just have to LEARN how to do it. It's like riding a bike. You can't tell a kid how to do it, they just have to LEARN how to do it. Read, read, and read some more. Post mixes in the clinic and listen to the critiques. Take part in the mixing contests. It all helps.

Were all still learning. No matter how good you are, you can always improve.

:D

My pleasure brother....I'm certainly no expert and I'm always learning. But I remember when the forest was bigger than the trees...Or when I gathered no moss because I had my hand in the bush...Or something. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think besides asking for an article on EQ you should be asking on articles about using your gear, mic placement, mixing techniques, etc. Instead of learning how to fix mistakes try learning how to not make them in the first place. :p

solo.guitar said:
I think besides asking for an article on EQ you should be asking on articles about using your gear, mic placement, mixing techniques, etc. Instead of learning how to fix mistakes try learning how to not make them in the first place. :p
You obviously didn't click the link I gave him.

RAMI said:
You obviously didn't click the link I gave him.
what a retart... :rolleyes:

im joking man.. this is a very very off day for me for some reason. i dont know whats happening!

Back