mixing in a dead room???

bfoundation81

is it cool to mix in a dead room? i have 2 rooms 1 is very live and alot of ehco and other i have completly dead. I was wondering if i should move my rig into the dead room i setup to get beter mixing??

Depends a bit on the kind of recording and as to whether the live room is a "good" live or a "bad" live.

The advantage to the dead room is that you can wetten your racks with your own reverb as necessary, or leave them dry if you like. The caveat there is that you want to have some decent reverb in the form of either a quality box or, if in software, a good impluse modeler.

Ideally, I'd put the recording gear in the dead room, and then have long enough cables to be able to choose between the two rooms for any given instrument.

G.

studio monitoring

just to clear up im asking should i mix with my studio montiors in the dead room. My live room is not a good live room its has way to many reflections and i think it is effecting my mixing.

BeatsBuY said:
I mix in a dead room and I found it works best. Remember about bass traps...

Yes, remember that it can be detrimental to good mixing if the room sucks up the mids and highs, but does nothing to treat the lows. Also, mix some diffusion in with the absorption.

-RD

Robert D said:
Yes, remember that it can be detrimental to good mixing if the room sucks up the mids and highs, but does nothing to treat the lows. Also, mix some diffusion in with the absorption.

-RD

Yes, good tips...

i have 2 couch cusions in one corner stacked up on top of each other and a matress in another corner standing up to act as bass traps... the rest of room has a light layers of eggcreate foam about 1/2 in cheap stuff actually matress eggcreate.

But i have mixed 2 songs and i think i like it beter can utilize my reverb more and not over do it, and it just seems like my mixes are a little beter...
But its still new and i am right in a corner with no bass trap thas were my backs of my speakers point but does kinda round off with foam.

Im kinda new but i really think its beter than my untreated larger room i was mixing in!!!!

yeah 81...i had a king size bed up against the wall for awhile and its easy to hear the change....anythings better than drywall!
shelves and books is another cheap diffusor.

Back