Mixing a album...PTs/SSL ?

Henri Devill

Hi ,I've been working on my album..I've been tracking the overdubs at home ie..Drum program {to keep time}Vox,Guit,Keys and minor percussion{16 tracks}.Im going to do the drums and the bass later at a Adat studio.Well I went into a studio to do the transfers to Adat...For this I used analog out from my machines to a API large frame console to Apogee conv. to Pro Tools to edit then to Adats .And I like the sound of the transfers and it got me thinking...I had planed at the end for mixing going in to a SSL for the automation ect. .But after seeing what Pro Tools can do, how would that be for mixing with?Would it work out as well as a SSL?
PTs would save me money...But any pit falls ?PTs thru API to Studer tape machine for the mix ..It seems like a good plan..?
Also I'll be producing at this point not acually running any of these larger systems.I have champane taste and a sixpack
budget ...LOL

Don

Your chain is excellent although you are doing quite a few transfers.

I'll give you my opinion only.
People knock mixing in PT. They are correct but only to a certain degree. The main advantage in going to a mixer like SSL is that the tracks might have more depth and the summing tends to be better although some people dislike the SSL's sound.
This of course is open to debate by many and we are talking about a very high level of sound were the air is thin.

BUT....I can tell you as somebody who uses PT, I have heard (and hopefully have done :) )enough mix's done on PT that are excellent !
I heard this week a 5.1 mix done in PT that knocked me off my feet :eek:
If your going to dump the mix anyway onto the Studer
and your going to save some money then I personaly would go that way. Don't let anybody cause you to doubt that the result will be anything other then excellent.
After saying that I can tell you that I myself dump tracks into a analog board, time allowing, even with the knowledge that I will be adding noise in the process. I prefer the Depth and wideness of the sound.

There is to much knocking PT as a mixing tool going around on the web. Some of it is true but most not. IMHO the attack comes from DIGI being a company who rips there clients wallet apart and still holds most of the market by the balls.

Shailat,..I agree that I'm doing a large amout of tranferes.But I've got to move the project around to keep the cost down.Need the portable format.If I can keep it to 5 moves will it be ok?From my mach. to Pro tools to Adat, Adat to Pro tools and to 1/2 track for final mix, also run a Dat .I also agree on the sound of the SSL it can be a little on the brite side.I've noticed that ..The EQs are powerful, very touchy!Also figured that
that running tape at the end of the project would mean that that Pro Tools could run at higher bit rates or should I stay with the 20 of the Adats?I'm sure that the engineers that I'm going to work with know these answers..But since they will be different guys ,I need to all my ducks in a row so to speak.I really appreciate your input! Thanks.....

Don

It's not so much the moves as the generations....
Try to keep the generations down and transfer digital as much as u can.

If you have the need to edit then I guess you will be transfering to the PT via digital so that shoudn't be much a problem but defenitly if the ADATS are 20 I wouldn't resample them higher to 24 in the PT.
You also might not have 24 bit PT in that studio.....
I'm sure the engineers will know what do to.
Why did you have to go to ADAT and not straight to PT? becuase the studio you did drums in doesnt have a PT?

Yes in order to save money I'm using a Adat studio for drums...no Pro tools there.So thats why I need a portable format.The studio that I'm doing PTs is 2 times as much to track in than than the Adat studio.The Adat studio also has a pretty good sounding room..

Don

Pro Tools or SSL, hmmm......

I only wish I had the same dilemma....I'd happy as shit to be working with either.

Re: Pro Tools or SSL, hmmm......

Dolemite said:
I only wish I had the same dilemma....I'd happy as shit to be working with either.

It can be done...You just got be real creative LOL
Lotsa Macaroni and Cheese in the diet LOL
What I'd like to do is tie a rope from my car to the API and drag it home.....Think they would notice? LOL

Don

Back