mixes lacking low end and high end

dylan_r

Compared to pro, or semi-pro, or even many amateur mixes, my songs lack high end... and low end. They sound weak if i cut some lows, but still lack the high end detail of better recordings. Or if i leave the lows, they sound muddy and shitty... I probably prefer the muddy over the brittle, weak and harsh trebley ones, but still... what can I do to make my guitars have more high end but not be piercing, bass be fat but not muddy and undefined, cymbals add nice high end sheen but not be just a wash of white noise, and vocals be clear and full of high end but still decently strong? and the whole mix to work kinda well...

Thanks

It's kind of difficult to offer any specific suggestions when you didn't provide any samples of your mixes, but basically what you're trying takes time, effort and dedication, and most of us are here on this board because we feel we're lacking in some regard and are trying to get better one step at a time. I think you'd do well to read whatever materials you can find on production, paying special attention to the parts of the process you feel you're weakest at, then record some stuff as carefully as possible, mix that stuff as attentively as possible, read some more thinking about the experience you've just gained, listen to your old stuff as perceptibly as possible, and repeat the whole sequence.

What does your stuff sound like before you hit the record button? That's where you have to work it on most likely. You always want to fix the source if you can because fixing things in the mix is bad. If things sound decent before you record and not after then start looking into things like room sound treatment, your workflow and your gain structure.

This is a pretty common problem initially for everyone. It takes a long while before your work will start sounding polished. Keep at it, enjoy learning it along the way, experiment alot and...Welcome to the BBS.

Sounds like you need to either eq the guitars / vox / specific components of your mix, or eq the master bus.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=298868

Theres one of my mixes in the Mixing Clinic section or whatever.

To suprstar, it's not just eq, i get the feeling that eq doesnt help that much, it just sounds distant and weak, not in-your-face at all. So many problems with the mix, it's atrocious. I constantly hear people getting lightyears better recordings on their first try.
Thanks for the other feedback

kick drum seems to have to much highs.
too loud snare
slight distortion on bass helps maybe a bit, experiment;)

Back