Mixer questions! HELP!

grahamware

That FAQ Guy
Hey guys I'll admit it; I'm a newbie. I know little about mixers besides what I've learned from the internet in the last week.

I'm a trumpet player by trade, and I'm going to record the music of my jazz combo in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I'm not tone deaf, and I can discern between good sound and bad sound. This is unfortunate because I have a very light wallet at the moment.

I am on a quest for a cheap, quality mixer. Please don't respond telling me this can't be done; I know it's unlikely I'm going to find the perfect 64 channel mixer for 50 dollars.

I'll tell you I'm in the $100 range for my mixer. I could spend a little more if I need to, but I'm also in the market for some nice mikes and a new soundcard with a decent input.

I would especially appreciate advice about Behringer cheap-o mixers (MX802A, etc.) from people who have experience with them-are they any good, or am I going to get what I pay for?

To ease your responding experience, know that I need at least FOUR XLR inputs and at least ONE aux input (for elec bass). I only need two busses because I want to feed the sound through something like an SB audigy non-platinum (I think this is right, tell me if I'm wrong).

I'm sure that you're going to see vary different reviews on Behringer mixers. They've been a topic of almost heated debate many times on this board.

In attempts to possibly head that off (they get boring after a while - do some searches and you'll see what I mean), I'd recommend looking into ebay. Be it riskier, I think that you're going to get much more bang for your buck going used. Take a look at mixers in your price range, then research the models available. I'm sure folks here can help with that too.

Light in the wallet myself, that's the route I chose, and I found an indredible deal within 4 days of looking.

As far as the sound card goes, I recently noticed the Emagic Audiowerk 2 card on sale at Guitar Center for 29 bucks. I paid $99 for mine a while ago, and it's one of the better 16 bit cards you can get (it's designed for recording, as opposed to an Audigy).

grahamware said:
I'll tell you I'm in the $100 range for my mixer. I could spend a little more if I need to, but I'm also in the market for some nice mikes and a new soundcard with a decent input.

I would especially appreciate advice about Behringer cheap-o mixers (MX802A, etc.) from people who have experience with them-are they any good, or am I going to get what I pay for?

To ease your responding experience, know that I need at least FOUR XLR inputs and at least ONE aux input (for elec bass). I only need two busses because I want to feed the sound through something like an SB audigy non-platinum (I think this is right, tell me if I'm wrong).

I have one, and I think the 802a will do more or less what you want it to. But only you will be able to tell if it sounds good enough for you, and the jazz combo.

To my inexperienced ears, it sounds good enough for what I'm doing, at this point. I think the preamps can be a bit harsh in the mid-highs, not a problem for some things but may be a bit hard on a trumpet. I've never tried running trumpet through it, so I can't say for sure. Maybe have some warm mics handy just in case. :)

If it sounds okay to you, then it's not a bad deal. Four preamps, two stereo channels, two aux busses, tape in and out, control room outs, main outs, LED meters (unfortunately they are VERY innaccurate--stay in the green!), phantom power on the XLR inputs, bass cut switches on the pres, and EQs.

Some say there are crosstalk issues. So far I've only recorded myself so I don't know if my unit does or not. Behringer mixers seem to vary considerably in quality. The first one I got was a total piece of junk, phantom would not shut off, loose cheesy knobs, a cheap power supply with bent pins, pres hissy as all get-out. The unit I have now has far cleaner gain, is more solid, and the phantom power works as advertised. You may have to return the first one you get, so check it out carefully once you get it home. Go to Guitar Center and use/abuse their return policy. :)

I think that a solid Behringer is well worth $100. Others will tell you that it's better to have $100 and say "I'm 25% of the way to a Mackie." :)

Hey thanks for the quick response guys. I just bought a mixer on ebay, and it looks good.

BTW does anyone know where I can buy one of these Emagic Audiowerk 2 cards online? The nearest Guitar Center to me is an hour and a half away, and I don't know if the card is still on sale.

None that I know of - none at Mars or Musicians friend. The sale should still be on though - their sales always run through the end of the month. If worst comes to worst, I'll sell you mine for cheap (it's been sitting in the closet collecting dust since I got my C-Port)

Back