Mix help

I've got to the point in this mix where if I do anything it sounds worse:) but it's not right yet.
It sounds a bit over bright and a bit muddy in places with no depth. I've compressed and equed and put reverb on the tracks I think need it and there is a vocal but I haven't worked on that yet.
Any pointers please?
Here's a snippet.

SheTest by Mike Spot | Free Listening on SoundCloud

spottydog.........the first thing that struck me was how there's not enough separation / proper panning going on. Most of the tracks seem so much in the middle. A little panning and sound stage placement would go a long way to getting each track to their best eq and effect settings. Try that and see how you like each track after that. Just my 2 cents. You Don't have a lot to fix really.

Quick observations while I have a minute:

Snare is on top of everything. That is typically desired but it a bit boomy and taking over the-guitars which are not very thick or wide, so the combination sounds weak.

The first solo is way in the background.

I say beef up the guitars a bit and widen them. Take a bit of the guessing 200hz out of the snare and see what happens.

I would keep away from much reverb on the guitars until you have then placed in the mix and then add vocals. Then see where everything fits.

Song is cool so far. Headed the right direction. :)

Thanks chaps.
I've panned the 2 main guitars more and took off the compression as the guitars had quite a bit on from the Kemper.
I changed the snare but still not a big fan of it.
Here's the first verse with untreated vocal for context.
Happy to hear any advice - there's a load of stuff to go on this tracks so I want to get it balanced before I move on and it gets messy:)
Cheers.

Shetestwithvoc by Mike Spot | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Better. It's hard to judge a full mix without the vocal. You should post (and participate in the 'MP3 Clinic' section of the forum.

Its compressed to holy hell. is that how you wanted it to sound? Its tight and not in a good way. There is no stereo image. Maybe you are going for a vocal panned hard left and right? But why post something not finished? It doesn't do any good without hearing it with everything you intend on putting in it, like the vocals. The vocals will effect the other instrument in the mix, so this is a waste, really

That said, you mixed it to sound that way, so i guess you are going for that sound?? If that is what you are going for, then you did the correct things to it.

The instrumental version sounds like the Cure song "Boys Dont Cry"? Because you have a different melody on top you should be OK. You are very close to getting your mixes sounding radio ready but as you already know, close is not what you are after. Go back to youtube and watch lots of videos on mixing and frequencies. Boring I know but when you "GET IT" the results speak for themselves. There is a guy called Rob Williams who does some amazing tutorials. He took a track that was demo standard and shows the small steps needed to get it professional.

One thing I'd like to hear is more distortion in the bass. What I like to do is duplicate the bass and on the second track just distort the living hell out of it then add a highpass and lowpass so it's mostly only mids left. Then you turn it down to about 10dbs below the main bass, give or take depending on the track.

Back