Mix contest

caryindy

I still love the idea of a mix contest. Many people here were interested in doing it and hearing how their mix compared to others.

Doesn't someone have a song they need mixed?

1. We would need it to be a complete song, preferably with vocals.
2. Individual tracks would need to be uploaded onto an FTP site. Hopefully, the performance would be good and tight also.
3. Tracks should be bare and without effects.

I really feel this would be a great opportunity to learn from each other - or in the case of a few, show off! :-)

Anyone?

Sounds like fun. I wouldn't mind being a test subject... i am just finishing up tracking a song with my band. I suppose I could just upload the tracks to my website's server right?

The files should definetly be mono high quality mp3's. These can then get changed to wav files.

I have a server but not the bandwidth to handle a lot of traffic, especially if we are downloading files.

sae said:
The files should definetly be mono high quality mp3's. These can then get changed to wav files.

I have a server but not the bandwidth to handle a lot of traffic, especially if we are downloading files.

Someone on a recent thread had offered FTP space for this sort of thing. I'm hoping they make the offer again.

Lets try and stay to wavs if possible. If nothing transpires in the next few days, we may have to take your high quality MP3 suggestion.

I realize that mp3 is not the way to go, but are we really going for audiophile quality here? I mean we are having a "mix off" (if I can coin the term).

I don't know of many people that want to download a 50meg wav file that was recorded at 24/96, and even less 8 of these tracks.

It's not ideal to do it with mp3, but I think the most practical.

What's wrong with CD via snail mail?

Someone makes several masters and compiles a list of who wants in... then several CDs go out - people copy them over and pass the disc along to anyone on the list who hasn't got it....

This way - no one gets stuck with a big mailing (and everyone ends up sharing the send-out costs) -- this would be much preferable than trying to get quality mix results with MP3s.........!

here here!!MP3's are not the way to go. though snail mail is a PITA.

Blue Bear Sound said:
What's wrong with CD via snail mail?

Someone makes several masters and compiles a list of who wants in... then several CDs go out - people copy them over and pass the disc along to anyone on the list who hasn't got it....

This way - no one gets stuck with a big mailing (and everyone ends up sharing the send-out costs) -- this would be much preferable than trying to get quality mix results with MP3s.........!

The cd thing does sound good.

However, we did a mixing challenge before using mp3's and no one complained then.

sae said:
The cd thing does sound good.

However, we did a mixing challenge before using mp3's and no one complained then.

Thats fine, but I believe the majority of the people here interested in making a good mix would agree that you need to start with the highest quality tracks. No offence, but I know people who swear that MP3s sound just as good as the CDs they were copied from.

I think Blue Bear's idea sounds fine. In addition, I'll post the wavs on my company ftp site once I get a password issued by my MIS guy. That way, anyone who wants to download the files can still do it. I have a cable modem and that would be my preference.

The next part may be tough. I see a few people here have offered their songs. Do you guys think it would be fair of me to request rough mixes of these offers in order to pick the best song for our project? This is not meant to offend anyone, I just think it would be nice to get a set of tracks that are performed well and the vocals are on pitch. If you guys think this isn't fair, let me know.

THis is pretty much what Mixerman's Mixfest was like ---

5 people donated tracks to 5 different songs... Then whoever wanted in chose which song they wanted to do....

I suggest though, that we only do 1 song, since we're all interested in hearing everyone's take on it.

OTOH - if you give people choices, you're guaranteed not everyone will like the style, the genre, the whatever....

I suggest a random draw on whoever is submitting tracks -- when the single one is chosen, then a rtough mix could be posted (to see what the original intent was).

My 2 cents...

I hope no one takes this the wrong way . . .

But I do hope there is at least some sort of safeguard built in to this. What I mean is I hope there is some way that we can ensure the song selected was tracked at least halfway competently.

I would much rather focus on seeing what different people can get out of some fairly well-recorded tracks, rather than making it a turd-polishing competition if you know what I'm saying. :D

Well yeah - we should be able to tell track quality by hearing rough mixes by the "donors" before a selection is made...

OTOH - it could easily be argued that you do what you can with the tracks provided - which is a real-life occurrence!

Back