Thread: Mic pre-amp during mix down?

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    In your experience, is there a mic preamp that is maybe a little better for use during mix down (in my case out of my sound card, into a mic pre amp, out of the pre amp into a 2 track), then as an actual pre amp for a mic? Or would throwing an Art tube mp between the two points give me some of the warmth that I lose by recording all digital as opposed to 2 inch analog? Am I being too vague?

Thanks

Wink

sonusman; You run all your mixes through a pre-amp? Where do you have the pre-amp in the chain of gear?

Thanks

Cool

Yo Prodigious Child:

Martinsound.com might be a place for you to check out.

They make two mic preamps that are high end. I've been thinking about their MicMax product which is not quite as expensive as their major preamp. I do believe they are out of Calif. too. So, you might check them out. As to adding warmth, I am not familiar with your type of rig.

I always use my ART mic preamp to put sounds on tracks, keyboard, vocals, and syntheisized horns, etc. Never thought of running the sound already recorded back into a mic pre, if that's what you intend to do.

Anyway, you might want to check out www.Martinsound.com. [I think that's the site URL. if not, it's close to it.]

Green Hornet

Thanks

Talking

I run my mixes through a digitech tube pre. This thing is really clean but the tubes do rock music justice. THe harmonic distortion and subtle compression even out peaks pretty well that is if the music needs it. I like it with rock stuff but some stuff doesn't need the saturated sound so i just use a normal compressor very lightly at mixdown. Warmth Shmarmth you can't put warmth back in digital with a tube, only simulate tape saturation with tube saturation. Analog tape isn't only good for it's saturation effects. I like the sound of unsaturated analog because although not as flat and accurate, it sounds more natural to me then 16bit 44.1k digital.........

Thanks

Wink

sonusman; Do you put your pre-amp between a mixer and what you are mixing to?

Thanks

Wink

sonusman; Is there a pre-amp in your mixer as well?

Thanks

Wink

Well okay then.

Thread Information