Mic pre-amp during mix down?

ChildProdigy

In your experience, is there a mic preamp that is maybe a little better for use during mix down (in my case out of my sound card, into a mic pre amp, out of the pre amp into a 2 track), then as an actual pre amp for a mic? Or would throwing an Art tube mp between the two points give me some of the warmth that I lose by recording all digital as opposed to 2 inch analog? Am I being too vague?

sonusman; You run all your mixes through a pre-amp? Where do you have the pre-amp in the chain of gear?

Yo Prodigious Child:

Martinsound.com might be a place for you to check out.

They make two mic preamps that are high end. I've been thinking about their MicMax product which is not quite as expensive as their major preamp. I do believe they are out of Calif. too. So, you might check them out. As to adding warmth, I am not familiar with your type of rig.

I always use my ART mic preamp to put sounds on tracks, keyboard, vocals, and syntheisized horns, etc. Never thought of running the sound already recorded back into a mic pre, if that's what you intend to do.

Anyway, you might want to check out www.Martinsound.com. [I think that's the site URL. if not, it's close to it.]

Green Hornet

I run all my mixes through my ART while mixing. Check them out www.echostarstudio.com/Download.html

Losing warmth because you are recording to digital? Hardly, but I am not going to go into this again. I am sick of this arguement. Try getting hotter signal to tape then see if you are complaining. Unless of course the sonic inaccuaracies added color as a result of biasing is what you want.

Ed

I run my mixes through a digitech tube pre. This thing is really clean but the tubes do rock music justice. THe harmonic distortion and subtle compression even out peaks pretty well that is if the music needs it. I like it with rock stuff but some stuff doesn't need the saturated sound so i just use a normal compressor very lightly at mixdown. Warmth Shmarmth you can't put warmth back in digital with a tube, only simulate tape saturation with tube saturation. Analog tape isn't only good for it's saturation effects. I like the sound of unsaturated analog because although not as flat and accurate, it sounds more natural to me then 16bit 44.1k digital.........

Yes monty. I use an ART Dual MP.

SilentSound makes all of the points that I would about what this does for the sound except that I always like the effect of the tube preamp inline to my mixing deck. Then again, I prefer a punchy sound while mixing, so a tube inline would benefit that kind of production style quite well.

There have been some push mixes I have done with nothing in between the console and the mixdown deck that came out sounding quite good. But when I am going for the "Rock The World" mix, I find much better results with a tube preamp inline.

SilentSound, I am no big fan of 16 bit 44.1 devices. I have recently purchased a 24 bit 48kHz soundcard and have found that the sound is so greatly improved even after dithering and sampling down. With the preamp inline, it is just that much better. I always mix with the highest sampling rate possible, and at the highest bit rate and let software convert to 16/44.1. I have found that the results are much better than straight 16/44.1 recordings are. Give it a try.

Ed

A preamp in my mixer? Why there are 24 of them, on each mic/line input. If you are meaning to ask whether there is a preamp on the stereo, or mix output, no. There is no need for a preamp with a line level signal usually, except where you are trying to output -10 to a +4 input, but even then, most mixers would have enough available headroom on the OP amp to make up the gain.

The idea of putting a tube mic preamp between your mixer and the mixdown deck is not to amplify the signal, it is to get the effects of the tube on the signal. Often, I have to turn down the output of my mixer while running it to a ART Dual MP because if I run hot outputs, it would distort the input of the preamp.

Ed

Back