Metal mix critique required

Justfort I'd mention? There was a series of articles in Sound on Sound magazine about recording a metal band. SO precise and systematic in the setting up of each facet!

Went to enormous lengths to get the drum and especially guitars sounds bob on. Facinating reading eben though not really my chosen genre and I am never going to do it!

I shall try to track it all doen...Making Modern Metal: Part 1

Gotit.

Dave.

Sounds good to me for a "demo" but I think you may want to use some reference tracks for your mix to get it to sound "fuller", it sounds a little "thin" to me... it probably needs a little more bottom end and "omph!" if you know what I mean. I do enjoy it, but comparing it to even a mix of David Bowie's D.J. (which happened to be on in my playlist at the time...) it sounds weak in comparison and this is a metal track we're talking about... so it shouldn't sound weak compared to what I just mentioned.

(...)may want to use some reference tracks for your mix to get it to sound "fuller", it sounds a little "thin" to me... it probably needs a little more bottom end and "omph!"(...)
In my monitors the track was a bit bassy for my taste so I reduced some low frequencies. I think I can recover some of them to give more body to the mix. Thanks for the advice.

In my monitors the track was a bit bassy for my taste so I reduced some low frequencies. I think I can recover some of them to give more body to the mix. Thanks for the advice.

That's just what I perceived to be lacking, but again... get some "metal" reference tracks that you like the sound of and play them back and forth through your monitors and make adjustments based on what you hear... flipping back and forth it should make it obvious what your mix may be missing. Please post any new mixes, as I quite enjoyed your track and would love to hear more.

As a die hard metal head here is my 2 cents. The drums in general do not have enough snap. They sound buried. From the kick, toms and snare. I would not raise the volume but throw some EQ which will raise the presence. As with all good metal you should be able to hear the snap of the double kick and snare. Without slapping this on my protools I can't tell you exactly what upper mid, high freqs I would change. Hope this helps a bit.

Back