Mastering using itunes... wtf?!

I've always used this. The "Increase Volume By 25%" feature. I usually click that about 10-20 times depending on what the mix tells me to do..

Attachments

• mastering.gif
    mastering.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 142
SKYflyer said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/technology/22cooder.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I just read this and it made me chuckle, but what do you guys who actually know stuff about mastering think about this?

I spent a few minutes with Google and dug this up... http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2611622 I didn't take the time to read it all.

Apple isn't saying too much about it, but it sounds like it basically hypes the lows and highs, and/or maybe adds a delay effect which widens a bit.

Well, I wouldn't bother with it. I would rather have more control over my final mix. I certainly wouldn't trust it to some stupid boom box program.

Besides, if I ran it through "sound enhancer" once and then the listener runs it through again during playback, it's probably getting pumped all the way into distortion. No thanks.

RawDepth

wow, this is why you don't listen to a musician...or ever go to that studio and listen to the engineer that told him the reason it sounds different.

Let me highlight some things:

When he burned a copy of the album using Apple’s iTunes software, it sounded fine. He didn’t know why until one of his younger engineers told him that the default settings on iTunes apply a “sound enhancer.” (It’s in the preferences menu, under “playback.”)

IT'S UNDER PLAYBACK!!! NOT RECORD!
There's no way he could have recorded the sound enhancer to the CD with iTunes and listened to it in his car.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Some people also perform trachyotomys with paint scrapers and slurpee straws. So what? That doesn't mean that's what we want our HMO to do.

The simple fact that anyone even uses iTins in the same sentence as mastering is wrong in every directon one looks.

G.

As Mr. Cooder worked on “My Name Is Buddy,” an oddball folk and blues concept album about a red cat that travels through a mythic American landscape, he ran into familiar problems.

an album about a mythical cat ... riiiiiight ... I wonder if he was thinking "I can't wait until the dough starts rolling in from this one" ... lol

When he subjected the recording to his usual test — playback in his Toyota, on the factory-installed stereo — the result wasn’t to his liking. “It started to sound processed,” he said.

no, it sounded 'dull, 'narrow', and 'thin' - at least that what it should have sounded like if Itunes fixed it ... not processed ... if it sounded 'processed', you would have to remove some of the processing -- not process it more.
That's such a paradox it's rediculous

I think that when Itunes makes your music sound noticeably better and you can't explain why - you got more problems than you know what to do with.
:rolleyes:

I wonder how many mastering engineers read that article and wanted to shoot themselves in the foot. That might just be the most rediculas thing I've ever heard...

Oh great, now we are gonna have a slu of peeps asking what is the best iTunes settings for mastering rap music?!?!?!?!?!? Oh and it must be under $100, and sound ultra pro...

SRR said:
Oh great, now we are gonna have a slu of peeps asking what is the best iTunes settings for mastering rap music?!?!?!?!?!? Oh and it must be under $100, and sound ultra pro...
Good one!...(ROFL)

masteringhouse said:
That's it, I'm going to put up all my gear on Ebay and start mastering with HarBal and Itunes.

What's Harbal? Not that I'm gonna use it. Reckon Ry mixes with headphones too? :rolleyes:

TelePaul said:
What's Harbal? Not that I'm gonna use it. Reckon Ry mixes with headphones too? :rolleyes:
Oh, Now you did it Tom! :p

You just had to say Beetelju...er....HairBall, didn't you.

TelePaul, HairBall is a program that beleives that one can and should EQ by how it looks an a spectrum analyzer instead of by what something actually sounds like. If you like that idea, I can turn you on to a program that'll help you write a novel based upon how it smells.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Oh, Now you did it Tom! :p

You just had to say Beetelju...er....HairBall, didn't you.

TelePaul, HairBall is a program that beleives that one can and should EQ by how it looks an a spectrum analyzer instead of by what something actually sounds like. If you like that idea, I can turn you on to a program that'll help you write a novel based upon how it smells.

G.

Ah gotcha, I said the forbidden word! I'll trust my ears, thanks Glen.

Back