Mastering software: Waves vs. Ozone

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Hi. I'm new to this forum, but I've been lurking a bit and have really appreciated what I've been reading here, as it's helped me quite a bit!

Now, on to my situation: I have completed recording and mixing a few original tunes and would like some advice regarding mastering software. The two "big" names that keep popping up again and again are "Ozone 2" and "Waves Platinum."

I am currently running a home studio with the following specs:
-AthlonXP 2400+
-ECS K7s6a MB (SiS745 chipset)
-~1GB PC2700 DDR memory
-Aardvark Direct Pro 2496 Soundcard
-Alesis M1 mk2 monitors
-20GB Maxtor ATA100 HD (OS)
-80GB Maxtor ATA100 HD (Files)
-Windows XP Pro (with SP 1)
-CD burner, floppy drive, no other peripherals
-Sonar 2.1 XL
-SM57, SM58, x2 condensor mics (lrg & sm diaphragm)
-x3 elctric guitars, x1 bass, x2 acoustic guitars (all high-quality)

I would like to get some feedback from people who have worked with these packages to try to help me decide which way to go.

Santa may be very generous this holiday season, so it looks like money may not be an issue. Ozone 2 is much less expensive than the Waves package (about 1/10th of the cost), so I guess one question I would have would be whether I should go with Ozone 2 and put the money I will save into upgrading my gear.

Please let me know if any additional info is needed.

Thanks!

-Mr. Moon

Well-I'm no expert by any means-but I do have both packages-though I havent upgraded ozone yet. If money is no object the waves stuff is reeaaal nice-nice compressors-eq and the ultramaximizer is invaluable. Ozone is fun to play with,though it does color the sound-Thats the one complaint I've heard about Ozone-even with the modules off-it still adds that signature sound...But like you said-Ozone is like 1/10 th the price-and it does a pretty fine job-and if, like me, this is your first time using multi-band compressors and exciters etc. maybe Ozone is a good place to start. BTW--I really like wavelab too-I use it as much as anything else.

if you dont think waves' color the sound then there is some trouble! Ozone and waves are different flavors. Some people like to use ozone for the most part, while using waves' linear eq lowband for hi pass filtering and using waves L2 instead of ozone's loudness maximizer

the multiband compressor in the version 2 of ozone is AWESOME, and instead of pretend failsafes, if you use it wrong, it SOUNDS wrong, unlike some other multiband compressors that do silly things with numbers, this one does other silly things with numbers :)

In general the most professionally used ones for your application are the ones offered by waves and TC

Stratomaster said:
Well-I'm no expert by any means-but I do have both packages-though I havent upgraded ozone yet. If money is no object the waves stuff is reeaaal nice-nice compressors-eq and the ultramaximizer is invaluable. Ozone is fun to play with,though it does color the sound-Thats the one complaint I've heard about Ozone-even with the modules off-it still adds that signature sound...But like you said-Ozone is like 1/10 th the price-and it does a pretty fine job-and if, like me, this is your first time using multi-band compressors and exciters etc. maybe Ozone is a good place to start. BTW--I really like wavelab too-I use it as much as anything else.

Answer ur Private Messages :mad:

nd BTW i think upgrading ur gear is way more important then plugs IMHO

Teacher said:
Answer ur Private Messages :mad:

nd BTW i think upgrading ur gear is way more important then plugs IMHO

I think your gear is quite sufficient for digital mastering, unless you want to get into outboard mastering.

Although the visual feedback of Ozone is great, I have had better sonic results with Waves plugins. I have not upgraded to Ozone 2 yet.

ecs113 said:
I think your gear is quite sufficient for digital mastering, unless you want to get into outboard mastering.

It depends on the level of mastering we are talking about. Alesis M1s are not the most optimal speakers for high quality mastering (frequency range goes down to only 38Hz according to specs I saw). Plus the room you are listening to them in has to be considered.

You can't master what you can't hear (or can't hear accurately)regardless of the plugins or outboard gear you are using.

Back