Mastering in General.

d(-_-)b-Phones

Ok time for me to start learning about mastering, why does everyone send off for mastering, what would i need to mastermy own work, and what is a nice industry definition of master, what happens what takes place. as much info as you can spare.

Thanks

Hi, I'm a novice but through all the threads I've read since I started looking at this site I've worked out:
Quality mastering will make your songs sound good on a wide range of systems, car stereos/hi-fi etc.. It also makes sure you have a consistent level across all tracks. They also clean up things, eq parts to bring out the bits they think need to be empahsized.
The general gist of the professionals on this site I respect is "get someone else to master for you." After you've mixed a song your ears are tired of it, and getting someone else to master it will add a fresh perspective on the piece.
If you want to master your own work, I'm sure there are some good suggestions on what to do. I found one very informative thread by a guy called Manning but I heard his stuff and was a little skeptical so be careful who you listen to(including me). It's fairly obvious who the good ones are after a quick trawl.

Stavencrows' right in that many people will send off there mastering simply to get a new perspective on the material. But that alone can be over come by just not listening to the song yourself for a week or two.

Mastering looks at the album as a whole, and every decision is made with this in mind. Fade-outs, Fade-ins, making sure it sounds like the "same band" throughout the entire album, and as already mentioned making all songs the same percevied volume level....but there is so much more to it....

The objectivity, attention to detail, and a good room/equipment makes mastering what it is, and explains why so many of us at home fail to sucessfully accomplish this task.

If you want to look into mastering, do yourself a favour and pick up the book Mastering Audio The Art and the Science: Bob Katz
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...36/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-5968673-2352649

Mastering your own music is like performing surgery on yourself. It isn't against the law, but it isn't a good idea.

Setting aside the perspective aspect and the acoustically perfect room you need to master in, I think $100,000 for a gear budget might be a good start on a mastering studio.

gtrman_66 said:
Mastering your own music is like performing surgery on yourself. It isn't against the law, but it isn't a good idea.

Setting aside the perspective aspect and the acoustically perfect room you need to master in, I think $100,000 for a gear budget might be a good start on a mastering studio.
+1........!

gtrman_66 said:

Nawwww

you should be able to get buy with 80K :D

Back