Mastering, file types, and other jetsam

SouthSIDE Glen

independentrecording.net
I wanted to take this to another thread so as not to interfere with mshilarious' "free mastering clinic" which is now underway in another thread.

But many questions were raised and points disputed in that thread by many fine folks approaching this whole racket from different angles and perspectives. Many of these were dismissed out of hand to make room for the "clinic", which was the proper thing to do for that thread. So allow me to try and help mshilarious and the rest of us out by deflecting some of that stuff over to this thread where it can be hashed out, because I feel there are some important issues which should not be glossed over or just filed in the "pro vs. hobbyist yawner spat" bin.

NOTE: The folowing monologue is addressed to no person in particular.

WAV vs. MP3
I'm not going to pull any punches regarding my personal opinion here; if one believes the differences between MP3 and WAV are unimportant unless one is cutting glass for platinum release, they need to read this and take it to heart. I say this for two reasons, the second of which leads to a main idea behind mastering and the allegedly "snooty" attitudes of those who specialize in mastering engineering.

First off, there is a *huge* quantifiable difference between a WAV recording and an MP3 copy of it. If you have any doubts in that regard, use the inverse polarity trick that I've posed here a couple of times before and hear what you're missing for yourself. For those who may have missed that trick, here it is in short:

1.) Take an original stereo WAV mixdowm of your best stuff and make an MP3 copy of it using your best encoder.

2.) Place the original stereo wav into track 1 of your best multitrack editor. Place the streo MP3 into track 2.

3.) Invert the phase/polarity of track 2.

4.) Ensuring that both tracks are at equal volumes, mixthem together to create a new stereo mixdowm.

The resultant mixdown will be everything in the original WAV file that was left out of the MP3.

(and for extra credit, feel free to try this test with both 192k MP3s and 320k MP3 and dare yourself to rationalize the extra bandwidth taken up by 320k MP3s; they wil both be so far away from the WAV as to make the extra load carried by the 320k files seem wasteful.)

If you really think that what you hear there is OK to leave out of a pristine WAV file, or that leaving that stuff out will not affect how one polishes their mixdown, IMHO, then you need to find another line of work.

If you're just doing this for a hobby, OTOH, find a hobby where your not going to be throwing thousands of dollars down the toilet; because if the amount of sound that is removed from a quality recording by MP3 compression is not important to you, then the potential amount of sound you could gain by spending a big money on a quality mic pre or improved converter or tube compressor is going to be lost on you as well.

MASTERING MASTERING
And when it comes to the whole philosophy behind mastering, it's far more than the technical difference between WAV and MP3; it's the question that arises of, why even *consider* MP3? What's the point? Why would anybody wnat to purposely cripple recording being prepped for recording? It's like deciding to drive your newly washed car down a dusty road before you hand wax it.

Mastering isn't just about making your mix down louder, or even about making your mixdown sound better. Mastering is about analyzing the mix and making it come alive. Mastering is about nuance. Mastering is about sweating the details. Mastering is most definitely not about slouging off details and saying that the mediocraty of MP3s is "close enough".

Everybody is continually asking in these forums, "How can I make my mixes sound like the pros do?" There is only one true answer, to which all other answers are derevations: the only way to get your mixes to sound like the pros is to care enough to do it right.

And to those who try to live and practice that philosophy (those who are called snobs because they *do* care enough) know that passing off a mixdown in MP3 format before mastering is little more than a demonstration of the lack of commitment, the lack of caring that will keep one from learning the answer to that "How do I...?" quetion.

How does one get final recordings that sound like the pros do? By discarding MP3s for anything other than portable entertainment and by adopting the attitude that "close enough is not good enough."

That's not being snobbish, or at least that's not the motive or intent. That's just understanding what it takes and dedicating to it.

BUT, BUT...
"But I'm just having fun," or, "I'm just a part-time amateur," you say. "I have no intention of getting that anal about it, and therefore you should not impose your boorish, holier-than-thou platitudes on me."

Fine, That's OK. No arguments there. The only cost for that is that the answer to your "How do I..." questions becomes, "You don't." If you're OK with that, then it's settled and we can move on.

One man's opinion only, use or abuse it as you see fit. :)

G.

Massive Master said:
Got him for ya. Got you for trying to get him and not being able to.

Thanks J.

When are you going to join the fun at the DIY clinic?
(sounds like a place to cure a disease)

You too Brad!

Did I ever imply it wasn't a compromise? Of course no sane person would ever send a CD off for replication mastered off an .mp3. But there are lots of people with limited internet speeds who would like to play in the clinic too.

Incidentially, I did attempt to null the two files this morning, of course they don't, the result is noise, a little brighter than white, but still broadband, at -48dBRMS, that has a hint of the hihat rhythm.

What is relevant for me for purposes of the clinic is the concept of materiality--that is, information has to be significantly different enough to cause a change in a decision making process. Returning to our (not very) null file, if I have done the math right, could cause at worst a 0.2dB error in a setting. That would obviously make an .mp3 unacceptable for a professional mastering contest, because it would impair the decision making process.

However, I'm really not too worried about that level of performance at this point. I'm more worried that somebody will be 3dB off in the wrong direction :eek: :o Myself included. Perhaps I am underestimating this board, a point which I would happily concede.

masteringhouse said:
Thanks J.

When are you going to join the fun at the DIY clinic?
(sounds like a place to cure a disease)

You too Brad!

It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek name on my part, because I am notorious for performing self-surgery--ingrown toenails; one time I removed a blocked saliva duct with clippers. That hurt REALLY REALLY BAD :eek: :o

mshilarious said:
Did I ever imply it wasn't a compromise?
Ms, first, I want you to understand that I'm not dissing you or your clinic; I give you credit for pushing it onto the board, especially after the contest fizzled and you didn't become disheartened. I purposely and specifically made the note that my starting post that my comments were not directed towards anyone in particular because I was concerned that you might just think I was talking to you. That's not it at all.

I took the rep points that everyone was kind enough to give me here and sincerely pushed them your way as well. Out of respect for your thread, as a matter of fact, I opened a new thread here so as not to further bog down your clinic with this side discussion and let the clinic participants concentrate on the clinic itself.

G.

And I appreciate it!

Mind you, I am not married to .mp3s. They ain't my baby! I remember reading a bunch of years ago that lossless compression would kick .mp3s ass, yet somehow we are still stuck with them.

I also worked at a major ISP back in the mid to late '90s, and to listen to us visionaries back then . . . not only would nobody have dialup by now, we'd all have our own T3s!

I kinda miss those days . . . every chart went up and to the right :o

Well, it worked for finance . . . doesn't work too well on an RTA ;)

I know what you mean; after I left Discreet, I worked for a software development firm that was one of those 90's tech bubble riders where the world was always sunny, the birds were always chirping, and there wasn't a problem in the world that couldn't be solved by a line or two of crappy programming code :rolleyes: :D .

I really didn't want to get caught up with the MP3 vs. WAV thing as being the main thrust of my post; I was trying (apparently not entirely successfully) to point that out as a symptom of a bigger point - or maybe a couple of points - that I felt needed spotlighting and discussing for a bit.

The main one being that for all the talk about "mastering" on this forum (by everybody, myself included), and all the desire to know HOW to master like a pro, way too many of us (myself included) often forget, or don't yet know, WHAT textbook mastering actually is or WHY textbook mastering is even done. As someone here wisely said a few days ago, it's damn hard to understand how to do something unless you understand why it's done to begin with. :)

And a correlary to that is the disconnect between wanting to know HOW to do something and the unwillingness to accept HOW MUCH it takes to do it with the quality they desire. This is just as true - if not more so, in some respects - with performing, tracking and mixing as it is with mastering, but it really seems to rear it's ugly head in these forums the most when it comes to the subject of mastering, so that's as good of a place to start as anywhere, I guess.

G.

Yes, very true. Perhaps we should start to refer to it as "stereo bus processing". Which begs the question, why process the stereo bus on your own mix? I think there are a few good answers to that question, but also there is the phenomenon of the "Can Anybody Master My Mix" thread, to which the inevitable answer is yes, but did anybody track or mix it :confused:

mshilarious said:
Yes, very true. Perhaps we should start to refer to it as "stereo bus processing". Which begs the question, why process the stereo bus on your own mix? I think there are a few good answers to that question...
There *are* a few good answers to that, indeed. I'd try and provide a few of them, but after spending most of the day replacing all the plumbing in my kitchen with only mixed results thus far, I'm just too damn tired right now :o . We'll see where this thread is at in the morning, this could be an interesting stem to persure for a bit.

mshilarious said:
...also there is the phenomenon of the "Can Anybody Master My Mix" thread, to which the inevitable answer is yes, but did anybody track or mix it :confused:
Now THERE is an answer! If I didn't just give you some rep, I'd be giving it to you now, just for that one. That works perfectly on a few levels and really gets to the heart of the matter on many of them. :)

G.

pingu said:
click the little scales at the right hand corner of a post
well I've tried that on a fewf people here over the last week or so and it doesn't appear to increase their reputation. How does the system work? Does it take a certain number of hits to get a rep point of 1?

Synkrotron said:
well I've tried that on a fewf people here over the last week or so and it doesn't appear to increase their reputation. How does the system work? Does it take a certain number of hits to get a rep point of 1?

You have 5 rep points, it takes 100 to bump someone up another point.

Back