Mastering Approach?

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
I was doing some DIY mastering on a recent project using WaveLab. In addition to compressing and limiting, I made some eq changes using the Waves LinEQ. Then I "applied" everything to the file. Afterwards I went back and eq'd the song a second time (with different settings). I had to add a limiter again to prevent the second round of eq changes from clipping, and I also dithered from 24 bits to 16.

I found the results of two passes of eq quite interesting, and also different than if I had tried to do all the same eq changes in a single pass. The best way I can describe it is that the results were much "softer" and pleasing to the ear (mine, anyway :) ).

I'm guessing that two separate rounds of eq changes are not a conventional way to master. :D However, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever done this and what they think about it.

It's probably "more optimal" to chain them and render only once, but using more than one EQ certainly isn't unusual...

I used different EQ's for highs, mids & lows. Some are just better at certain things than others. No rules if it gives you the sound you're looking for.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

I agree with MM.

I generally tailor each song indiviually with 1 EQ dedicated to low end, and a broadband EQ in order to make them all fit together. I will then use an overall EQ for the entire CD. That way if the client wants a version with more or less bass, etc. I adjust it at one spot without disturbing the individual tracks and losing the consistency.

You may also want to chain EQs if the number of bands is limited and you need to do some surgical work in the mids.

Back