Mastering

The best answer is to check the CDs yourself. If you get a Plextor Premium burner it comes with error-checking software. Someone posted a link to a site that offers standalone software, but I haven't tried it. If you want to try it out I'll find the link and post it here. Another thing is to have decent burning software. I recently got CD Architect for that reason. I record local groups who send their CDs off for replication and it's common sense for me to be able to hand them a CDR and say, this one works.

lpdeluxe said:
The best answer is to check the CDs yourself. If you get a Plextor Premium burner it comes with error-checking software. Someone posted a link to a site that offers standalone software, but I haven't tried it. If you want to try it out I'll find the link and post it here. Another thing is to have decent burning software. I recently got CD Architect for that reason. I record local groups who send their CDs off for replication and it's common sense for me to be able to hand them a CDR and say, this one works.

Again it will depend on what format you are using for your CD. If it's a data CD the techniques I described above will verify that the data on the CD is readable and exact duplicate of the hard drive. That is sufficient.

If it's an audio CD, then it's best to take the approach lpdeluxe and MM are recommending.

I realize I will show my newbie-ness to recording with the following comment. Massive, I went to the audio samples on your page---that's freaking incredible. My band just finished recording our first demo-just to hand out to local places. I think it turned out OK, but it lacks the punch I wanted. It sounds like some of the before tracks in your samples. I guess I hadn't realize that with our humble setup and some skilled mastering we could get a great sound.

OK the penny's dropped now, you mean 'data cd' as in burning the music as WAV files not as an audio CD (CD audio) that can be played straight on a HIFI system - originaly I thought you meant Data CDRs as opposed to paying more for audio CDRs, sorry a bit dumb there!

OK, from the lack of positive response i take it that a reputable mastering house will NOT necessarily check my CD for any errors prior to undertaking the mastering and therefore the onus is on me to check it myself or risk ending up with a mastered CD with errors!?

Quote from Tom: "Again it will depend on what format you are using for your CD. If it's a data CD the techniques I described above will verify that the data on the CD is readable and exact duplicate of the hard drive. That is sufficient."

True. I forgot that. Thanks.
John

glynb, it looks like the default answer is that they don't check for errors. I just finished a project that is going out for duplication and after reading several pages of the duplicating house's fine print I have to conclude that it's your responsibility. BUT given the ease with which you can check for errors it shouldn't be a real problem.

glynb said:
OK, from the lack of positive response i take it that a reputable mastering house will NOT necessarily check my CD for any errors prior to undertaking the mastering and therefore the onus is on me to check it myself or risk ending up with a mastered CD with errors!?

glynb -

Part of the problem is that there may not be anything to check it against. In the case of a data CD the information on the CD should be compared with the data on the hard drive. So this should be done before submission.

Also the audio CD errors that were brought up will not necessarily be reproduced by the ME. In the example that MM gave he recieved the CD-R from the client that was used for duplication. Any errors in this case will be reproduced since it's the final pre-master.

If you are sending content as an audio CD to the ME, that content will be pulled into a workstation for processing. The errors on the original CD may produce a degradation in audio quality (based on the type and number of errors) but the final CD produced by the ME will not have the original C1/C2 errors since a new CD is being produced.

My point early on in this thread was that you should verify your disc, use good media, etc. to avoid errors of this first type. Any errors produced during the creation of the CD-R (I don't use the term PMCD since this was a proprietary Sonic Solutions format) sent to the duplication house are the responsibility of the ME.

When sending out final product to my clients I send 2 copies, one for their personal listening, and another that should remain in the case and not be handled to help prevent dust, scratches, fingerprints, etc. for the reasons described above.

In the good 'ol days, every replication house checked every disc and hand entered (or at least visually verified) every stop, start and index point.

Now most of the "big boys" - The Cinrams and such, likely check every disc (although I cannot confirm this). The smaller duplication-to-CDr places will MOST likely NOT check - You get back what you gave them (what goes around comes around).

And yes, with *most* modern CD players able to read through a short burst of C2's, this won't be a big issue *most* of the time. The bizzare part is that most "pro" CD players (radio stations, performing arts centers, etc.) will normally complain about these errors long before most home decks do.

Personally though, I certainly think it's in everyone's best interest to present the cleanest production master possible. And when you can pick up a top-flight drive AND error checking software for less than $100, there hardly seems to be any room for... Error...

Massive Master said:
And yes, with *most* modern CD players able to read through a short burst of C2's, this won't be a big issue *most* of the time. The bizzare part is that most "pro" CD players (radio stations, performing arts centers, etc.) will normally complain about these errors long before most home decks do.

You'll never read a more true statement on the internet. I once had a CD with a 30º chunk taken out of it (looked like PacMan). The CD player in the studio would spit it back out immediately, but my crappy car stereo played it no problem.

Headsping headspinq

I am always bad a responding to these things. But Thank you everyone for the information. All of your information was super helpful. I learned a lot. Not a pro on master knowledge. It seemed intimidating to me at first. and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about before I started consulting people to do my masters. I had more then enough vocab. to be able to get my point across. Thank you.. One day.. I won't be a newbie anymore! Master for that project came back and was great. thank you.

I am always bad a responding to these things. But Thank you everyone for the information. All of your information was super helpful. I learned a lot. Not a pro on master knowledge. It seemed intimidating to me at first. and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about before I started consulting people to do my masters. I had more then enough vocab. to be able to get my point across. Thank you.. One day.. I won't be a newbie anymore! Master for that project came back and was great. thank you.
I had to take a double take on the original date--7 years... awesome.

If it were local , Couldn't one just give an M.E. one of those small USB hard drives with the files on them ?? They have ones for $60 now that have a 5400rpm laptop hard drive ... there are pretty small .... Also , don't some of you pros get stuff via FTP from the web ?????

If it were local , Couldn't one just give an M.E. one of those small USB hard drives with the files on them ?? They have ones for $60 now that have a 5400rpm laptop hard drive ... there are pretty small .... Also , don't some of you pros get stuff via FTP from the web ?????
A 2 or 4GB thumb drive is probably more than enough. And I probably get 75% of everything that comes in -- Including files for attended sessions -- in advance via FTP.

Back