A man of transparency

P. Rene

Please ohhh please, im surrounded by colors. I need transparent and clinical sounds, any suggestions on nearfield monitors, mic pre, and plugins.

Ok maybe i lost myself

what im saying is, theirs so much tube and analog simulation all over that sometimes one just needs a clean signal. I dont wanna mix a tubed vocal and use more tube during mixing with "vintage plugs". I would love to get more of a nuetral comp and eq plug thats not trying to emulate at all.

Umm... if you want neutral and transparent, don't use any plugins at all.

I don't think there's a plugin for neutral and transparent.

In no particular order...

- Get your room properly acoustically treated and set your gear up properly within it.

- There is no such thing as a neutral, transparant or flat loudspeaker. Use a CD with pro tracks that you are intimately familiar with and that sample well the style and genre of stuff you want to work with and use that to test the nearfields in your budget and see which "sound right" for your ears and tastes.

- Spend the greatest bulk of your money on quality preamps and A/D converters. They will make or break your tracking, and your tracking will make or break the rest of your production. Limit your signal chain to just those two devices when possible, adding to the chain only when absolutely necessary.

- Study and practice, study and practice, and then study and practice your miking technique. The better you are at that, the less crap you'll have to throw in your chain to try and correct for bad technique down the road.

- Get your gain staging all the way up and down the signal chain correct. By driving your gear at the voltages it wants to work at the best and by getting the right volumes for your signals you minimize coloration from the equipment you do have in a couple of ways.

G.

P. Rene said:
what im saying is, theirs so much tube and analog simulation all over that sometimes one just needs a clean signal. I dont wanna mix a tubed vocal and use more tube during mixing with "vintage plugs". I would love to get more of a nuetral comp and eq plug thats not trying to emulate at all.

If all you want are different "com and eq plug" that don't emulate vintage analog gear there is a multidude of different plug-ins out there, many of them free to use. Just experiment with one that gives you the sound you are looking for in a plug-in.

But I would listen to the rest of the advice on this post. If all you want is a "neutral, clean" sound, concentrate on your source, mics, pre-amps, and converters. Don't use plug-ins to attempt to create a "clean" sound.

thanks

i understand to the utmost, and im trying to flury out all this tube mess of gear. But im going to be tracking solid state and im just trying to work with a few "clean" plugs. No ren, no vintage, just straight eq and comp.

P. Rene said:
i understand to the utmost, and im trying to flury out all this tube mess of gear. But im going to be tracking solid state and im just trying to work with a few "clean" plugs. No ren, no vintage, just straight eq and comp.
Take a look at the Frequal-izer from Roger Nichols Digital.

But something to keep in mind is *every* compressor and EQ plug has it's own sound, even if they are not attempting emulation. It's not uncommon for me to choose between three or four different supposedly "uncolored" EQs for use on any given track depending upon just what the task at hand is; some are better for notching, others are better for adding or preseserving "air", yet another might be better for shaping bass, etc.

G.

Back