lowering sub bass

scopus

hey i got question about shelving. Does using a low shelf (fabfilter proq2) with say a slope of 18db cause any kinna bump in the freq range? need to know if does that like hi pass filter
thnks

Last edited:
I can't answer as someone who has a Fabfilter Prog2. But I can tell you there have been many times I've cut some low end on and and my track has increased in the mids and sometimes a bit in the lower treble range. What I did one time to see the difference was to take a screen shot of the before and the after and noted the changes in frequency.

I don't know Fabfilter, but recently I was mastering a reggae album I had been working on and after the mastering compression went on the bass was bit strong. I fixed it by a multi-band compressor at the end of the chain, and on the multi-band lowering the output of the low end and some of the low mid. You can adjust the frequencies of where the multi-band splits. This worked better then using an eq.

Alan.

hey i got question about shelving. Does using a low shelf (fabfilter proq2) with say a slope of 18db cause any kinna bump in the freq range? need to know if does that like hi pass filter
thnks

Hey scopus,

I have and use Fabfilter ProQ2 all the time.

I just tested a low shelf 18db slope on one of my projects and did not see any bump. What frequency are you pulling up the roll-off to?

I tested on a bass guitar track with roll-off at 70 Hz, and saw no bump in the analyzer. Also did not hear anything change. Other than the needed low end of the bass guitar was gone.

Hope his helps.

Hey scopus,

I have and use Fabfilter ProQ2 all the time.

I just tested a low shelf 18db slope on one of my projects and did not see any bump. What frequency are you pulling up the roll-off to?

I tested on a bass guitar track with roll-off at 70 Hz, and saw no bump in the analyzer. Also did not hear anything change. Other than the needed low end of the bass guitar was gone.

Hope his helps.

20hz just to rid of excess subbass. glad no bump
thanks

Back