Low mixing levels

Clarence222

I have a mix that I'm working on with over 12 tracks. All the faders are set very low at the moment. Even my vocal (main track). What I'm wondering is that when it comes to mastering (using limiter) will the noise floor effectively get raised because of all the tracks being so low? Obviously I know I could just link all the tracks and raise them. But in theory is what I've outlined true...?
Many thanks

D

Hello Clarence222. Give us little more info please. How low is low? Are you using a DAW or a digital unit? You could be correct.....but we can’t be sure.

Clarence........it's hard to be sure of the actual levels unless you can give us some db numbers. Having said that though.........tracking levels in a DAW can vary quite a bit and work just fine.........and certainly do not have to be up near "0" or even close. In my experience......the high / peak level for tracking should be under -6db for sure and works quite well down around -12db. There is no hard and fast rule of course. As to your question about the noise floor......yes......raising any track level will likely raise the recorded noise level of that track.........but....it's all about how low your noise floor was on each track to begin with. What are you recording and what are you using? Are you using mics.....direct in......outboard effects? What is your audio interface? The pre's on that will have a say. Etc....etc. You should be able to raise your faders and "hear" for yourself or "see" for yourself using graphic displays such as a frequency analyzer in Cubase.

What type of peaks are you seeing on tracks? -10, -20? While that seems pretty low, its still workable. Better to be on the low side than to hit +5 on the meter, as that indicates exceeding the peaks which would result in clipping. Thats very bad in digital recording.

Theoretically, you will raise the noise floor if the levels must be raised during mixing/mastering. This happens with any system, however it most likely won't be a big issue.

If you are running with 16bit, you are starting with a theoretical 96dB of S/N. At 24bit, you have 144dB. A lot of equipment really tops out at 120dB or so. That's really quiet.

I'm recording vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, ukulele, violin and accordion. All in a small semi treated room. I'd say average level for this vocal is at -20 with other tracks being much lower.

An average level of -20 isn't bad. If your largest peak is -20, you could have recorded hotter.

You never said what your recording parameters are. 44.1, 48, 88 or 96kHz? Are you using Cubase in 24 or 32 bit mode? If so, you'll still be fine. When converting to 16 bit mode for normal CD spec audio, you'll might want to use dithering to keep the noise floor as low as possible.

People get really hung up on not being able to see all the peaks in the wave file on the meter, but its a bit like seeing waves on the ocean. There's a LOT of water underneath before you get to the bottom. If you really want to see the wave files, you can Normalize the files. It shouldn't change the S/N ratio, as normalization "raises all boats" equally, signal AND noise. It just makes it visually more appealing.

For future recordings, you can try to raise the levels, as long as you NEVER send it into the red.

Why don't you just raise them? I'm guessing because you have mix automation and don't want to disturb the ups and downs? There are a few ways you can change the channel 'volume' retaining the fader moves. The way I do it is slap a compressor on the channel, enable it and adjust the compression so it isn't compressing at all, then use the make up gain knobs, set to auto be default and this will ramp up the channel's volume, even the ought the fader level is low. If you add a compressor to every channel, and copy and paste the setting, every channel will have the same extra volume. Other than that, a VCA fader will give you a bit more. I tend to have quietly played samples a lot, for the feeling - and use the gain makeup facility to give me more volume.

I recorded hot enough at an average of around - 12 but have since lowered the tracks throughout the mixing process. I then noticed that I'd have to really push the gain on the limiter at the mastering stage to get the song loud enough. I can easily go. Back and remix it, it's not an issue. I was more just wondering theoretically if you're mixing tracks this low and then having to raise them all again whether or not this has a detrimental effect on the audio?

Recording levels will depend on what your converters are aligned to (most are -20 to -16), that will be the sweet spot. However, if you record with a level at -18dBFS (irrespective of where your converters are aligned) you will get a good sound, your converters and DAW will not clip and the converters will work near there sweet spot. You will also get consistent RMS levels from tract to track.

Last edited:
Back