Live mixing and hearing protection?

nay

I mix for some friends of mine when they play live (they may be friends but I still get paid). Anyway I don't want to lose my hearing just because they play alternative music cranked to 11 just becaues "well my amp goes to 11." So I was wondering what some of you do for hearing protection when you mix? Obviously earplugs but they cut out the highs so what technique do some of you use?

I used to mix for live bands... and they got loud. One morning after mixing a show I had a recording session to do. I was unable to hear any of the high frequencies, and my recordings came out like you know what. I was so upset about that day, and worried about my hearing that I decided never to mix live shows again. I have too much invested in my studio to risk loosing my hearing. But to answer your question, there is nothing I know of short of cotton or turning the mix down.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about... but I like mixing for live bands... it's fun to see people enjoy the music and get into it. I usually just check the mix occasionally and put my earplugs back in. What part of Alabama are you from Fishmed?

well closed ear headphones will help (but i assume your using those already)... i know there are earplugs that claim to not cut out highs... do a search, they were only like 30-50 bucks so it'd be worth a shot..

Those earplugs look good. I will probably get some soon. So, what headphones offer excellent isolation and would be good for live mixing/monitoring and for record monitoring in the studio. I will mix and master using near field monitors but use headphones in many recording situations.

Thanks

Back