Let's find out: Neutron beats human?

Francesco Cagne

Hey everyone,

My name is Francesco Cagnetta and I am a graduate student at Sae Institute in Milan. During this time I am conducting a research that intends to explore the potential of audio automation technologies, especially the Neutron's one, a plugin made by iZotope that can implement an autonomous processing chain by using intelligent algorithms.

For this purpose I conducted a survey that compares three different mix versions, one of which is generated using only Neutron automation processes. You can join the survey at the following link where you will find more information on the research project. It will take a few minutes to complete it and may lead to unexpected results.

Have fun!

Let's find out: Neutron beats human?

All results will be published on January 7th. I have to collect enough data to have a statistically valid conclusion. I ask you to share with your fellow colleagues the survey to speed up this process.

First answers are very interasting.

The simple way to guess correctly...find the most hyped mix in the mids/highs...that is the Neutron mix.

I've heard other Neutron examples on other sites, and that's the thing that always stuck out...the hyped sound of Neutron.
Of course...that might fit how much of today's music is...very hyped dynamically and tonally, so I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people actually liked that.

Hi miroslav, thanks for replying!

I think the best way to approach this survey is to have no preconceptions. There's a lot of elements that influence final result, starting from music genre, recordings quality et ceterum. Actually how Neutron works is more complicated than emphasizing mids/high range and from the first responders I would say that the conclusions are not to be taken for granted!

Best,

I have no preconceptions...as I said, I've heard Neutron mixes in other examples before yours (it's been around for over a year now)...and the thing that stuck out with all of the Neutron mixes was the emphasis on the mids/highs, regardless of original material.
So my conclusion was/is that Neutron algorithms are designed to do that more than not.

With people just guessing off of 3 samples which is the Neutron mix...you're going to get a variety selections.
However, once you know how Neutron sounds...the emphasis on the mids/highs by default (without any additional user tweaking) tends to be obvious.

I have no preconceptions...as I said, I've heard Neutron mixes in other examples before yours (it's been around for over a year now)...and the thing that stuck out with all of the Neutron mixes was the emphasis on the mids/highs, regardless of original material.
So my conclusion was/is that Neutron algorithms are designed to do that more than not.

With people just guessing off of 3 samples which is the Neutron mix...you're going to get a variety selections.
However, once you know how Neutron sounds...the emphasis on the mids/highs by default (without any additional user tweaking) tends to be obvious.

I mean... that sure sounds like a preconception there. :D

That being said, there was one mix that did sound like it was just hit with a preset with no regard for what specific instruments needed emphasis at any given time. Which is what I assume an algorithm is gonna do.

Who are the humans that mixed this? Putting a good machine up against an amateur will give a different result than using an expert.

It's pretty much the definition of preconception but no matter. I too listened to the samples and tend to agree.

I'm just not seeing it...at least from what I know "preconception" to mean.

As I understand it...preconception is when you form an opinion in advance, without the experience....right?
If I listened to Neutron examples, and they all sounded hyped...and I draw the conclusion that Neutron made them that way...how is that a preconception....? :)

Anyway...at least it's not just my ears that hear the emphasis in the mids/highs. :thumbs up:

It's entirely possible that the software has developed since you heard previews, or that the source material makes a big difference, as the OP suggested.
Granted, though, that doesn't seem to be the case. :p

"The experience" in this case would be listening to these specific mixes. So your previous experiences listening to Neutron mixes gave you a preconception for listening to these ones.
That's not to say it's an invalid preconception, but it sounds like you did go into comparing these mixes with some expectations.

Putting a good machine up against an amateur will give a different result than using an expert.
That is a very good point. I was wondering that myself as I listened.

...but it sounds like you did go into comparing these mixes with some expectations.

Don't we all do that, even when we think we're not? ;)

TBH...I wasn't commenting on these mixes...though my past experience with hearing some Neutron mixes, and always coming to the same conclusion about their mid/high emphasis, is not something I can't just ignore.

Anyway...did you go through the survey thing? What did you think?
I went to the first page, and then decided I really didn't care... :D...'cuz I had already come to a conclusion about Neutron from before.

Don't we all do that, even when we think we're not? ;)
'strue. Trying to consciously ignore those preconceptions would be the goal then.
Anyway...did you go through the survey thing? What did you think?
I went to the first page, and then decided I really didn't care... :D...'cuz I had already come to a conclusion about Neutron from before.
I called mix B the Neutron one 'cause it didn't seem to have any awareness of what's important to the song. e.g. when it switched from vocal to guitar leads, the relative volumes didn't change at all.

I went listened to them after I posted above just so I could confirm my "preconceptions"... ;)...and yup, B would be the Neutron mix in my opinion too.

It really sticks out from the other two...and it sure has that mid/high hype. :)

Interesting. I don't think any of them sounds particularly good, but I pegged B as the least-messed with.
I called C as the neutron mix or a bad human mix standing as a red herring, whether intentionally or not.

With no sarcasm intended, did you listen that far?

miroslav I hope you are not offended about what I told you. How VomitHatSteve said "expectations" is a better term to define what I meant.

I hope you will be interested when results will be published.

Peace!

Back